Friday, July 1, 2011

I Often Think About That Summer

That Summer by Sarah Dessen
I was so excited to read my first Sarah Dessen book. I've heard so many great things about her books, and everyone one just seems to love it. I wasn't sure where to start but picked this one up mainly based on the cover, not really knowing anything about it. (Coincidentally my first Sarah Dessen book was her first one published as well.) Except halfway through the book I discovered this book, along with one of her others, had been turned into a movie (How to Deal staring Mandy Moore). And I had seen that movie. I don't remember a lot other than a few minor plot points, but mainly that I didn't really enjoy it because nothing seemed to happen.

That Summer is the story of Haven summer at 15-years-old. The summer starts off with her dad remarrying and ends with her older sister's marriage, and is the cliched, summer that everything changed.

I really wanted to like this book. But similar to the movie version nothing really happened. Or at least nothing happened until the last 10 pages or so, which I actually found quite enjoyable. But I think because I had such high hopes for this book, and Sarah Dessen in general, I felt pretty let down.

Even though I'm not raving about this book, I still plan on giving Sarah Dessen another chance. So if anyone has advice on which book of hers will make me change my mind towards her I'd love to hear your suggestions.

3/5

6 comments:

  1. My favorite Sarah Dessen book is This Lullaby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard "This Lullaby" is good but you should definitely skip "Someone Like You".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard nothing but good things about Dessen's books. I think I have one on my shelf. I hope to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you should definitely give her another chance! I've heard from several people that this one isn't her best, and that seems to be true.

    I seem to have a love/hate relationship with Sarah Dessen books, some I really enjoyed and others I just couldn't stand. That being said, I'd recommend you read Just Listen, its my favorite by her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Out of all the Sarah Dessen books that I have read this one was the "worst". Which she has even been quoted to say. She wrote this one when she was really young, and do not quote me on it, but I think she even said she only published it because it was her baby being her first. HA My favorite is probably "Lock and Key". They get better I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting to try a Sarah Dessen book as well. I'll try to find one that more people enjoyed. Great review!

    ReplyDelete