Sunday, July 3, 2011

Back to the Mortal Instruments

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare
When I finished City of Glass just over a year ago I was expecting to have it be the end of the series. It's almost funny to go back and reread that review now knowing not only will there be a total of 6 books in the mortal instruments series, there's already a prequel series, and there's a sequel series to come.

{Spoilers to come if you haven't read the first 3 mortal instruments books}
City of Fallen Angels takes places just after, give or take a few weeks, the end of The Mortal War at the City of Idris. Clary is back in New York starting to train to be a shadowhunter. Simon is trying to adjust to being a vampire and dealing with the implications of Cain's mark, while dealing with both Maia's and Isabelle's affections. And Jocelyn and Luke are getting married. Of course things can't stay perfect, and dead bodies of shadowhunters are discovered, and the fun begins...

As I started off with, it has been a year since I read the first three books. Which meant I had forgotten quite a few details. It was definitely frustrating when they're mention something I couldn't recall, but nothing a few minutes search on the internet couldn't solve. I only wish that I had thought to reread the first books so it was fresh in my mind for this.

The book actually started out a little slow for me. But so much happened in the last third that's it's almost forgivable. In fact looking back on the book I almost don't remember what happened in the first few chapters because I can't stop thinking about the last few.

And then of course there's the ending. There is a pretty huge cliffhanger, something that I almost saw coming with dread, and can only imagine (and hope!) where the story is going to go with it. It's almost disappointed Clare's next books isn't book 5, but instead book 2 of The Infernal Devices series. But I do know I will be eagerly anticipating just to see how the clave is able to solve the events put forth in the last few pages of the book.

4.5/5

5 comments:

  1. Argh, I know. That ending!

    I'm actually glad that we get Clockwork Prince next :) I think I prefer The Infernal Devices to The Mortal Instruments although I love both. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I skimmed your review. I've only read the first one, and I really want to continue the series. I read the first one right after reading Mockingjay...so I had a hard time getting into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read the first one and then got confused on how many there were supposed to be and never continued. The covers of the prequel books are so gorgeous though I sort of want to skip straight to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read this book. It's on my tbr pile for a month now.
    Great review c:

    I'm a new follower btw and I'd love if you'd follow back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep hearing great things about these books! I need to get the first one and read it!

    ReplyDelete