Friday, July 15, 2011

Swimming, Swimming in a Swimming Pool

The Swimming Pool by Holly LeCraw
I wasn't quite sure what to expect with this one. I was hoping for more of a "chick lit," but thinking it was going to be more of a mystery. Except it wasn't really either of those. The premise is that Marcella is having an affair Cecil, and the night their affair ends Cecil's wife is murdered. Except it wasn't really about that event itself, but instead how the events impacted those involved seven years later.

The bulk of the novel takes places at the Cape, which I loved. Reading the setting just makes me want to move up to buy a summer home and live in an idyllic beach town every year. I love the idea of growing up spending the entire summer away with family, and while it probably isn't something that will be happening to me anytime soon (or ever) it is still nice to imagine.

But my biggest complaint with the story is that its depressing. (Not necessarily the only one, though. There are a some love triangles I'm kind of iffy on, but I can work past that.) I don't mean depressing like a bittersweet love story that has you in tears at how beautiful it is. Instead most of the characters seem to be unhappy throughout the book, and you almost can't help feeling down with them. Yes, it does look like things are brightening up for some characters at the novel's close, but I can't help feeling down coming away from it all.

I don't regret reading the book, and I wouldn't steer anyone away from reading it. And I do think the basic premise had a lot of potential and that the author could have done something a little more with this. I'm not asking for a fairytale ending, but a little more happiness might have been nice.

3.5/5

Disclosure: I was provided this book through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. All opinions expressed are my own.

3 comments:

  1. I was curious about this one! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad it was such a downer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE reading your book reviews. So please keep doing them!

    ReplyDelete