Thursday, April 12, 2012

More Passover Fun

Every year since college I've made myself a big batch of charoset to get me through the week of Passover. (At least for the years when I haven't flown home for Passover.) For those not in the know charoset plays a part in the sedar and it's one of the first things you're able to eat. It's supposed to symbolize the mortar used by the Israelites while they were slaves in Egypt, and it's commonly made out of apples and nuts. (Although my mom used to make a version from dates as well.) It's one of my favorite parts of Passover and it's basically one of the foods I survive on throughout the week of Passover.

I've posted photos of charoset before, but I don't believe I've shared the recipe. I had two different Jewish cookbook (both for children actually), and I made a version based on both. One called for 2 apples the other 8. But both asked for the same amount of nuts, and the amount of wine needed for the 8 apple recipe was nowhere near as much, proportionally, as the 2 apple recipe. Basically there's a lot of leeway here, but this is how I made it this year.
DSC06671
I used four apples, which then were peeled and cut.
DSC06674
I had about half a cup each of walnuts and almonds.
DSC06679
From here, you could then throw ALL ingredients (including the sugar, cinnamon, and wine-which we'll get to) into a food processor and be finished. Except I don't have one of those, so basically I would take spoonfuls of nuts and apples and chop them up.
DSC06681
Once I got tired of chopping I added about 1 and a half tablespoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
DSC06680
Then chopped it all of more to get it to a better consistency and help mix into the spices.
DSC06682
But once it looked about right, added about 2/3 cup red wine (plus a little extra because... why not?), and we had charoset.
Charoset
Some pieces here are probably a little too big. But hopefully next year I'll have a food processor and the whole thing will be a lot easier. This actually made a ton of charset, and I have a feeling I'll have quite a bit leftover by the time Passover ends. But I think this could be the perfect amount for a sedar full of people.

Do you have a favorite Passover food? Or holiday food, in general?

2 comments:

  1. I do love charoset. Sometimes I purposefully make too much then use it to top latkes. I like to confuse my Jewish holidays :) I also love to make kugel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By far the best part of passover! I made one with walnuts, dates, and apples this year - so good!

    ReplyDelete