Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Turning Two

This past weekend was the boy's nephew's, aka my nephew-to-be's, 2nd birthday.
DSC05975
It was LSU themed, which made complete sense since it was on a Saturday just before the LSU-Auburn. We along with a few others stayed after the party to watch the game, which of course LSU won. And if you've been hear a while it shouldn't be a surprise that I'll be sharing our gifts, basically because I love being able to buy toys.
DSC05981
We wound up deciding on the Count & Crunch Cookie Monster, which is basically a cookie monster that counts the cookies you feed him. He wound up being one of the first toys rescued from his packaging, so at least for now Cookie Monster was a hit.

And of course, we picked up some books, which is what I really wanted to share.
Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton
This one is a classic and while I don't specifically remember reading it growing up I still know the story. So I guess I must have read it at some point, right? I love the author's other book The Little House (which I've blogged about before. So while Mike may not be my favorite book by her, I still think it's perfect for a little boy.
The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales by Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith
While this one may not necessarily be a classic, at least not yet, it's one of my favorites from growing up. I remember being in 4th grade and visiting my brother's 1st grade class as a guest to read the book to them. And again, not only do I love this book, but I love the other books the author's have written. If you remember a few months ago I even purchased Lane Smith's recent book for myself.

Overall it was a fun day, and I'm hoping he falls in love with these two books as much as I have. Have you read either one of these books? What books do you think you'd purchase for a 2-year-old boy?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I remember loving The Stinky Cheese Man when I was a kid. It's so much fun buying the books you loved as a kid for the kids in your life. I've had a blast picking out a few for my younger cousins!

    ReplyDelete