Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The Way of the Samurai

47 Ronin
Going into this movie I was sure I would hate it. I thought it looked cheesy and gory, and just such a "boy" movie. But I was actually pleasantly surprised.

47 Ronin actually takes place in Japan and is based on a historical true story, something I'd had no idea of from the marketing. I loved the beauty of Japan in the movie, and also was surprised by the love story throughout.

I'm actually a little surprised by the marketing of this. Yes, there is a good amount of action, but not an over the top amount. I do think that if it was presently as more of a historical story (similar to something like The Last Samuai) it would have done better. Instead I think people probably went into this expecting something over the top, and were disappointed. And there's others like me who love historical dramas, but never would have realized that's what this basically is without seeing it.

4 comments:

  1. I want to see this one. The earlier trailers did mention it wax based on a true story but the more recent ones left it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think I wanted to see this one because it seemed so violent in the previews but maybe I should change my mind...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The previews definitely do make it seem more violent than it is. It is a samurai movie, so there is still fighting, but I was expecting it to be a lot worse than it was.

      Delete
  3. This is how I felt about it too! I was sure it was going to be over the top action and it ended up being a well done story I really liked.

    ReplyDelete