Friday, January 3, 2014

Brr... It's Cold in Here

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
Published
: August 1, 2009 by Scholastic Press
Series: The Wolves of Mercy Falls #1
I've been hearing about this books for so long, that part of me feels like I'm the last one to read them. It almost actually feels like this books are "so yesterday" and everyone else has already moved on from them. Obviously, I've heard great things about these books, and expected to love them as well.

Except that wasn't quite the case. Yes, I enjoyed them, but I don't quite see what all the fuss was about. I think part of it is I knew this was the first of a trilogy, which ruined quite a bit of the suspense. After all, in order for a second book to make sense, certain things had to happen in this.

One issue I had with was that I didn't think the characters acted like teenagers. How is it every teenage drinks coffee every day? I know I didn't start to enjoy coffee till college, and it wasn't till I graduated that I started drinking it regularly. I would be fine if it was just a single character who had a coffee obsession, but instead it seemed everyone was drinking it all the time. Yes, it's a silly thing to obsess over, but obviously it really bothered me.

I realized this reviews sounds incredibly negative, but that doesn't necessarily reflect all of my thoughts. I did still like the book, I just don't think it lived up to all the hype I built for it. But even so, I definitely want to continue the series, as well as the rest of Stiefvater's books.

4/5

Don't forget that today is your last day to enter my 5 Year Blogoversary giveaway!

Today I'm linking up with Blonde Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday!

5 comments:

  1. I don't think it's realistic for teenagers to like coffee either. I didn't start drinking it until after I graduated from college and it probably took until I was 25 for it to be an every day thing - maybe even longer than that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in high school, I had such a hard time waking up, I needed coffee every day - but it's not very realistic that EVERY teen would drink coffee obsessively every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have eighth grade students who bring coffee to class in the AM! It wasn't a "thing" when I was in school, but it's pretty common now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny! I never would have guessed, but I does make sense. I'm guessing with Starbucks so mainstream kids are drinking it earlier and earlier. And come to think of it, I did tend to notice a good amount of high schoolers or maybe just college kids, when I'm in Starbucks.

      Delete
  4. I felt the same way when I read this book. I liked it, but I don't get the obsession over it!

    ReplyDelete