Sunday, January 5, 2014

Mailbox Monday (60)

It's my first Mailbox Monday post of the new year! For 2014, we're changing things up at Mailbox Monday and instead of having a touring host each month we'll be linking up the recent books we've added to our shelves at The Official Mailbox Monday Site. Here's to a great year of reading, and my first new books of the year!
Mailbox Monday
For Review from Virtual Author Books Tours
Hidden in Plain Sight by Jane Allen Petrick
As you can probably tell from the title, this is about the people in Norman Rockwell's painting. Except not the all-american white families that you picture when you think of Norman Rockwell, but instead his lesser known pieces featuring minorities. While I've obviously heard of Norman Rockwell, I don't know a lot about him, so I'm thinking this will be an interesting look.

Borrowed from a Friend
Splintered by A.G. Howard
This is actually our book club book for the week, but I've been wanting to read it for a while now so I'm happy for the excuse to get to it. It's a retelling of Alice in Wonderland, and since I tend to be a fan of retellings I definitely have high hopes for it. With the sequel about to come out, I've been seeing it around a lot lately, so hopefully it's able to live up to my expectations.

What did you find in your mailbox this week? And what are your views on reading retellings?

20 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read Splintered. Hope it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oo Splintered sounds good!

    I just finished the entire Divergent series - wow! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't Divergent awesome?!?! Now I'm just hoping the movie Lives up to all I want it to be!

      Delete
  3. the cover of Splintered is gorgeous!!! I may have to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From everything I've heard I think it's going to be well worth reading!

      Delete
  4. Hidden in Plain Sight looks really good! I can't wait to see what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't think of any retellings that I have read! I am sure I have read one but nothing comes to mind! I hope it's god Plain Sight sounds interesting too!

    I picked up The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult from the library this week and started it last night. It's so good! And I also downloaded a borrowed copy of Defending Jacob from the library which I have wanted to read for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard great things about both The Storyteller and Defending Jacob! I'm guessing you'll probably really appreciate The Storyteller knowing it have a WWII theme to it.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for getting everything set and ready for MM for the new year!

      Delete
  7. I've had Hidden In Plain Sight on my radar for a while. I might have to cave and read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you and your book club love Splintered! Such a gorgeous cover.
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've love the cover of Splintered ever since I first saw it. I hope you have a great time reading it too! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Rockwell book sounds interesting. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both of these books sound fabulous, and I'm not even into retold fairy tales that much. Love the cover art on Splintered.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hidden in Plain Sight sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the sound of Hidden in Plain Sight...and the cover of Splintered is awesome. Enjoy! Here's MY WEEKLY SUNDAY/MONDAY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  14. ENJOY, and have a wonderful first full week of 2014.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete
  15. Crystal Bridges here in town had a Norman Rockwell exhibit last summer, and it was so interesting to see some of his lesser known works. He had some very dark pieces that I wasn't aware of.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both sound good!

    Have a great mailbox each week, in 2014!

    Here is my post

    ReplyDelete