Friday, January 24, 2014

Down the Rabbit Hole

Splintered by A.G. Howard
Published
: January 1, 2013 by Amulet Books
Series: Splintered #1
I had forgotten I listed this book as one of my "Can't Wait to Read in 2013" until after I started reading it. But once that realization hit, I remember thinking how I loved the idea of an Alice in Wonderland retelling or somewhat sequel. Plus it had such a gorgeous cover. I'm actually a little surprised I had forgotten about it, since I only picked it up when my book club decided to read it.

This books seems to have gotten quite hyped lately, especially since the sequel was just released. I definitely went into this with high expectations, but I'm not quite sure they were met. I can't quite explain why, except that something about the book didn't quite click for me.

I actually enjoyed the first parts of the book, before Alyssa travels to Wonderland, which is the opposite of most people. I think once we were in Wonderland everything was too chaotic, and so much happened that it was hard to follow. I found myself lost in sections, needing to reread it, and still not quite understanding what was going on.

I also read a review where they complained that they couldn't connect with the characters, and that they hated both of the love interests. This is something I don't think I would have been able to articulate, but I think that might be part of what bothered me with this.

I did love all the references back to original, which even though I haven't read, I have seen enough movie versions to identify a lot. I also loved the ending in that it reminded me of one of my favorites episodes of Buffy & Angel.

Overall, I did still enjoy this, I just feel a little let down by it. I know the sequel is out now, and while I'd still pick it up, I almost feel that this book's ending would be enough for it to stand on its own.

4/5

Today I'm linking up with Blonde Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I'll have to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I literally just finished it and was thinking, "There will be a sequel" without knowing there actually was one. I didn't like how Morpheus used sexuality to connect with Alyssa. It made him seem extra creepy. But of course, now I want to find the next book.

    ReplyDelete