Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A Novel of the Great War

Somewhere in France by Jennifer Robson
Published
: December 31, 2013 by William Morrow Paperbacks
I'm almost afraid to start this review because it's another that I can't imagine I'll do justice to. Reading this book, I couldn't put it down. I stayed up late to read it, but even more impressive (since I can't ever remember doing this!) I woke up early to keep reading it. That night I dreamed of the book, and that day I couldn't help but relive specific scenes over and over in my head. And don't ask my husband about the lunch we had together where I ignored him because I HAD to keep reading. As soon as I finished it, I was ready to turn it over and start from page 1.

Lily Ashford is the daughter of The Earl and Countess of Cumberland. Her mother wants nothing more than for her to be settled and married, but when war breaks out Lily feels a call to do something more. She leaves her home, family, and all she knows and winds up in France to serving as an ambulance driver for the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps. This is also the story of Robert Fraser, the son of a dustman and a laundress, who goes on scholarship to Oxford and works hard to become a surgeon. While most of the story is told from Lily's point of view, they are a few chapters where we hear from Robbie and those were my favorite.

I feel like I haven't read a lot of books that take place during WWI. And yet that isn't quite true because some of my favorite series growing up, The Betsy-Tacy Series, Anne of Green Gables, and The All-of-a-Kind Family, all end with a book that takes place during The Great War. But this is the first one I remember reading as a "grown-up," and one where it's a single book instead of the end of a series.

In case you couldn't already tell, I absolutely loved this book, and have a feeling it will be one that stays with me for a while. I did read that the author is planning a follow-up to this for 2015, and while this book doesn't need a sequel and I'd be more than happy with just this single book, I can't wait to be able to check in on Lily and Robbie.

5/5

Disclosure: I was provided this book through TLC Book Tours. All opinions expressed are my own.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing! I'll have to look into getting it!

    Sarah
    aroseinthecity0.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read a whole lot adult WWI books either. Adding this to my tbr list for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound like an amazing book! I have read far fewer WWI books that WWII books, but I did read a couple in 2013. This definitely sounds like something I need to check out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've already got it on hold at the library and cannot wait to read it. It sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is most definitely my kind of book! I'm glad to see that you really enjoyed it. Thanks for being on the tour.

    ReplyDelete