Tuesday, January 21, 2014

I'm Going Back to Cali

I realize that posting has been quite light these past few days, but I do have a reason behind the madness. I spent last week home in California, and am only now getting back into the swing of things. Looking back on our trip, we actually didn't do a whole lot. Instead it seems everyday were we spending the day catching up with a new relative. And most times it was over a delicious meal. So I can't help but share a few shots from some of those delicious California meals.
Caprina E Carciofi Pizza
One of our first nights we went out for pizza at Michael's Pizzeria. This was their Caprina E Carciofi, which has pesto, artichokes, goat cheese, and I believe potatoes.
IMG_1504
One food item I always try to make happen on trips to California is fish tacos. You just can't really find them in Louisiana. This time I had them at the Huntington Gardens, and while I wouldn't necessarily list them on my all time favorite fish tacos, they were pretty delicious.
Cronuts
While in California, I had my first taste of a cronut, which is a cross between a donut and croissant. While it was really good, I can't say it quite lived up to my expectations for them.
Lunch at Super Mex #finallyrealmexicanfood #homeinCA
Another California staple I always try to make happen is good, simple Mexican food. This was a shredded beef taco at Super Mex. It's kind of funny because it really only is meat, cheese, beans, and lettuce, but it's something that really doesn't compare to Mexican in Louisiana.
Grilled Chicken Pesto
For something new to me, we went to The Iron Press, whose specialty is waffle sandwiches. I had their chicken pesto, which was a lot of fun.

This won't be my last post on California, but without doing a lot and just spending time with friends and family I actually don't have a ton of photos. But sometimes, that's exactly the type of getaway I need.

When you spend time at home are you sometimes surprised by how little you go out to do?

9 comments:

  1. My husband is from Southern California and each time we visit all we do is eat. I wish a trip there was in our immediate future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love a good fish taco!
    Totally go home and make plans with my mom just to go "nah, couch!" So many times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These all look so delicious! I'd love to try the cronut.

    Sarah
    aroseinthecity0.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, all the food sounds wonderful! When I go home, I am mostly just amazed at how much I try to pack in - and how hard it is to come back feeling like I disappointed those that I didn't see. :( I am heading home at the end of February and am already getting a little nervous about how I am going to see all the people I promised to see + work + do some networking meetings...

    That said, I am glad you got a chance to go home and catch up with family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A waffle sandwich?! I need that in my life. Also that donut/croissant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had all types of waffle sandwiches! The place was basically a chicken and waffles type theme, but expanded quite a bit.

      Delete
  6. Wow all that food looks SO GOOD! I am drooling at my desk over here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post has basically confirmed two things: 1) Going home is all aboutgood food and 2) I didn't eat enough for lunch! Ha!

    ReplyDelete