Friday, December 13, 2013

Three Sides

Triangles by Ellen Hopkins
Published
: October 18, 2011 by Atria Books
This book had been lent to me by a friend, and one of her big reasons for lending it out was that she wanted another's opinion. She wasn't sure whether she liked this one or not, and wanted confirmation either way. So with that type of introduction I was a little unsure how I would feel, but surprisingly, I wound up being a much bigger fan than expected.

I can see why it's easy not to be a big fan of this though. The title, Triangles, could relate to the fact that it's told alternating between three women. But it's likely due to the fact each woman relationship is touched by infedeilty, which make each woman's relationship a triangle of people. There's one women who is cheating on her husband. A second who isn't in a relationship, but the man she is involved with is married. And a third whose husband is cheating on her. With so many characters making such poor decisions it's hard to like anyone.

But what made my love this book is the writing. It's all told in verse, which I adored. Plus I loved the way each section flowed into the next. It really was beautiful to read. And even the fact that it alternated between characters wasn't confusing because each woman had such a unique story and voice.

If you don't like reading books where you can't agree with the decisions made, this one probably isn't for you. But if you can get past that, and enjoy it for what it is, you might wind up a little entranced by it like me.

4.5/5

Today I'm linking up with Blonde Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting. I think I might give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read Gone Girl? That's another book where I thought it was pretty good but didn't like any of the characters.

    ReplyDelete