Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Happy Thanksgivikkah

As I mentioned this week's Project 365 post, for the first time ever, the boy and I hosted Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving Plate
We tried to divide and conquer our dishes, so while I made stuffing, green beans, and pumpkin pie he did the gumbo, macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, gravy, and truffle butter crostinis. On top of that my MIL & FIL brought turkey, ham, cranberry sauce, and a pecan pie, while my SIL brought sweet potatoes and rolls.
Stuffing
This was the first time I attempted making the oyster stuffing I grew up eating, and while it may not have been perfect, it didn't reminded me of Thanksgivings past.
Pumpkin Pie
On the topic of new dishes, I also made a gingerbread crust for the first time. I've made pumpkin pie several times, but always with a store bought crust. And again, while the crust may not have been perfect, it sure was delicious. (Recipe to come tomorrow!) Especially when topped with homemade whipped cream.
2nd Night
Since this was no ordinary night, I ended things lighting the menorah with my attempt at "Thanksgiving-y" colors. For one final photos, here's a shot of some of Thanksgiving guests finishing up their dessert.
Thanksgiving Guests
Where did you spent your Thanksgiving? Did you attempt any new dishes this year?

10 comments:

  1. No new dishes for me at Thanksgiving. Just a lot of old holiday favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made pies (including a pumpkin one, which I don't like) for the first time for our Thanksgiving back in October. They turned out well, or so the eaters of them said :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks delicious. We tried a new stuffing and it was good and we had latkes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! The crust sounds great, I made a crust this year vs a mix and am never going back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great pictures, now I'm hungry! Or it could be the ham bone soup?
    I spent Thursday with his parents and siblings/kids. Friday was spent at my parents, both my brothers and one SIL were there.

    Re: Mailbox Monday - could you please look at my post and comment?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yumm that all looks delicious! Thanksgiving in Canada was over in the middle of October but I sure felt jealous looking at everybody's delicious food on instagram and twitter last week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gumbo sounds appropriate for Louisiana!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dinner sounds delicious! Hope you had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like the dinner was a success! I can't wait to hear about that gingerbread crust!

    ReplyDelete