Friday, December 6, 2013

God Save the King

The Boleyn King by Laura Andersen
Published
: May 14, 2013 by Ballantine Books
Series: The Boleyn Trilogy #1
When I first heard about this series I was so excited. After all it's from a time period I love, but one I've stopped reading as much because everything is so similar. Except with such a unique premise (What if Anne Boleyn hadn't miscarried and gave birth to a son as well?), I knew I was in for a surprise.

While this isn't marketed as YA, I was surprised at how YA it feels. It makes sense since the characters (Elizabeth, Henry IX, and their friends) are in their late teens and early 20s, but it isn't something that typically happens in historical fiction. I could see how if you don't read a lot of YA, you may not be a fan, but for me, I loved that the characters acted true to their age. Of course though like every YA book, there is the love triangle. While it isn't my absolute favorite version (nothing compare to Will, Jem, and Tessa), it at least made sense and it is one of the better versions.

It was also a little confusing trying to figure out which characters were historical and which were completely fiction. And while obviously certain characters had to be fiction, I wish all the rest had been historical. Part of me does understand why certain other characters were created, but I loved seeing how roles changed for certain lives and wish it had been done more. (Instead of creating the character Minuette as Elizabeth's best friend, why not have Lady Jane Grey play that part instead?)

The book does end on a bit of a cliffhanger that makes me want to pick up book 2 immediately. Hopefully I won't have to wait to soon to get to it, since I can't wait to see what else is to come in this trilogy!

5/5

Today I'm linking up with Blonde Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday!

7 comments:

  1. OMIGOD WHAT A TUDOR ALTERNATE UNIVERSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Adding this to my to-read list on Goodreads asap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such an awesome idea, right?!? I really, really enjoyed reading it, and if you like reading Tudor books but have gotten bored with how similar they can be, I think you'd love it too!

      Delete
  2. This sounds interesting, I'll be adding it to my TBR list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love books set in the in this era. I'll definitely have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like hearing this feels a little YA! I should check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this one. I read it in about three sittings :) Thanks for alerting me to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it! I just thought it was a really interesting spin on such a familiar story. Now if only I can find the time to get to the sequel!

      Delete