Sunday, December 1, 2013

Mailbox Monday (56)

Each month Mailbox Monday travels to a new host. Since today is the first day of Decemeber, we're linking up at Rose City Reader sharing the books we've picked up recently.
Mailbox Monday
For Review from Historical Fiction Book Tours
Degrees of Courage by Shari Vester
This is a multi-generation tale, loosely based on family history, of a Hungarian family throughout the 20th century. It's a huge book, and looks a bit daunting, but hopefully it's one I'll enjoy.

From Goodreads
O, Africa by Andrew Lewis Conn
This is another historical fiction about 2 brothers who travel to Africa in the 1920s to make a movie. I haven't read a ton of books that take place in Africa, so I have to say, I'm excited for this.

From My Dad
The Master of All Desires by Judith Merkle Riley
This is yet another historical fiction, that used to belong to my mom. It takes place in France in the 1500s, and seems to be some sort of a mystery. It's just the type of book my mom enjoyed, so I'm not too surprised she had it, but am curious as to whether she ever read it.

Bistro Cooking by Patricia Wells
This is a book that my parents already owned, and my dad found a copy in a used book store. As you can see I've already gone through and marked the recipes I want to make, some of which sound delicious, and others I remember my mom making. The one I'm most excited about, that I used to love when my mom made it, is Gateau de Pemmes de Terre L'Ami Louis, or Potato Cake.

What did you find in your mailbox this week? Or were you too busy celebrating Thanksgiving to find the time to pick up any books?

And don't forget to enter my giveaway to win a copy of Mission One of Auggie the Alien!

14 comments:

  1. What a great mix of books...hope you enjoy them all! They are all new to me.

    Here's MY WEEKLY SUNDAY/MONDAY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love getting new cookbooks and picking out the recipes I want to make. It's nice receiving such meaningful books from your family. Enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shoshanah,

    I really like the sound of 'The Master Of All Desires', especially as the author is compared to the likes of Antonia Fraser, whose books I love. In fact I intend to add Judith's name to my author list, as many of her books sound equally beguiling. Despite her passing in 2010, at a relatively young age, Judith's website has been kept alive and fresh and I spent a lovely few minutes checking out her work.

    Thanks for sharing such a diverse range of books and I hope that you enjoy them all,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely cover on Africa - congrats on winning on Goodreads, I'm finding it impossible of late!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patricia Wells is great, isn't she? Enjoy all your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. O, Africa sounds interesting, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice mailbox. Oh no on the size of Degree of Courage. I am reading that for a book tour. We can do it. :)

    ENJOY your week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    Another giveaway on my blog if you want stop by that post too.

    Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  8. O, Africa could be a very interesting book, it seems. Enjoy.

    Harvee
    Book Dilettante

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got Degrees of Courage too but it's an ebook so I didn't realize it's so long! I better get started on it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Master of All Desires sounds particularly good. Enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see lots of tabs in Bistro Cooking - it must be really good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. woo, this Bistro Cooking is tempting me...

    ReplyDelete