Friday, April 24, 2015

Down by the Banks

On the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Published
: 1971 by Harper Trophy
First Published: 1937
Series: Little House #4
Rereading this one is definitely a different experience than the rest of the series. You can't quite see the one as being full of childhood games and innocence knowing what's to come. It's just hard reading how optimistic Pa is, and how grand everything will be after the wheat crop comes in, when you know what actually happens to it.

I did find it interesting that Nellie Oleson and the chapters about Laura and Mary in school were so few, especially since that's what I remember most from this book. I know there is still more of this in books to come, but really thought there was more here. Maybe because growing up I couldn't help but identify most with those scenes that were closest to my actual life, having friends or enemies, going to school, and throwing parties.

Out of all the books so far, reading this book as an adult has felt the most different, and in a way, the least enjoyable. I still found myself loving it, but it's almost bittersweet to read knowing everything that is going to happen before the next book even begins.

5/5

Today I'm linking up with Blonde Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday!

2 comments:

  1. I struggled with this one too. I spent a lot of time shaking my head at Pa for planning everything around the wheat crop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first chapter book I read on my own. As I've re-read it some of the darkness begins to enter. You know that this is the last time the family will be so carefree. It's a bittersweet read, I agree.

    ReplyDelete