Friday, July 25, 2014

Beachin' It

Spring Break by Katherine Appelgate
Published
: January 26, 2010 by Simon Pulse
Originally Published: April 1, 1996
Series: Summer # 4
Last year I started Beach Blondes while at the beach so it only made sense (at least in my mind) to continue that tradition and read the next in the series on this year's beach trip. Yes, these are a bit ridiculous and probably not appropriate anywhere but the beach, but they're still kind of fun.

Not too surprisingly my complaints of this book are the same as the first. The books were first published in the 90s, but when they redid them for republication they updated a lot of the references. Which means the girls listen to ipods instead of cd players or answer their cells phones instead of car phones. Except while this could have worked, there's things that would have been to difficult to update and were left in, so Summer spends her time looking for a pay phone or visits Disney World and sees the Skyway and Captain Nemo Submarines, rides that haven't existed since the 90s. The book is definitely caught in a bit of a time warp between 3 decades that doesn't quite fit.

But I didn't find the plot nearly as cheesy this time. I think it helps that this was a single book, while the first had the first 3 in the series repackaged. But even so, I found this one a lot less predictable than the first.

I do have the next in the series, and while I don't plan on reading it till next summer (which hopefully I'm able to make happen with a baby!), part of me is looking forward to reading it.

4/5

Today I'm linking up with Blonde Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday!

2 comments:

  1. too funny about the 90's updates - they should have just let it be set in the 90's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I should take this to the beach too! You're providing me with a lot of good beach reads. Hopefully I am able to get to them all :)

    ReplyDelete