Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Let's Get Mixed Up

If you look through the recent recipes I've shared you'll find a similar theme. Quite a number are originally from Mix and Match Mama, and this week is no exception. This is her Chicken Florentine Lazy Lasagna. However since there's there's both tomato sauce and pesto in it, in our house we've been calling it Mixed Up Pasta since it can't quite decide between the two of them. Also the boy complained that I tend not to make meals with leftovers, so the recipe below is doubled from the original. This makes A LOT of pasta, and barely fit into my crock pot, but we definitely had leftovers!

Mixed Up Crock Pot Pasta
Mixed Up Crock Pot Pasta
Ingredients
Ingredients
3 pounds chicken breasts
2 jars of spaghetti sauce
1 can condensed tomato soup
(The original called for 1, so I should have included 2. Except I only remembered to buy 1 at the store. But I don't really think it needed the extra can.)
2 cups chicken stock
2 bags frozen spinach (thawed and drained)
1 1/2 cups mozzarella
(I also brought down the amount of cheese, but that's more because I don't like most dishes too cheesy)
2 pounds penne
IMG_1614
2 jars pesto
(I originally couldn't find a pesto we liked, so I was planning on trying out a paste and olive oil mix. But while the majority of food was in the crock pot, on the trip to the grocery store for brownie mix, found our normal pesto and swapped it in.)
Parmesan, for serving

Directions
Step 1
1. Layer the chicken, sauce, soup, and stock in the crock pot. Cook on low for 6 hours.
(I did put the lid on after taking each of these pictures since otherwise you really couldn't see what was going on.)
Step 2
2. Shred the chicken in the crock pot.
Step 3
3. Stir in the spinach, mozzarella, penne, and pesto. Cook on high for 30 minutes.
Step 3b
4. Serve with freshly grated paremesan.

IMG_1621
For such an easy dish, I really think it's awesome. Of course I don't have the best crock pot, which doesn't really have high or low only time settings (but 8 and 10 hours are at low and 4 and 6 are high so I can make it work), so I can't let it go while I'm at work all day. But if I had a better I'm sure I'd be making this all the time instead of just on weekend.

Mixed Up Crock Pot Pasta
Ingredients
3 pounds chicken breasts
2 jars of spaghetti sauce
1 can condensed tomato soup
2 cups chicken stock
2 bags frozen spinach (thawed and drained)
1 1/2 cups mozzarella
2 pounds penne

Directions
1. Layer the chicken, sauce, soup, and stock in the crock pot. Cook on low for 6 hours.
2. Shred the chicken in the crock pot.
3. Stir in the spinach, mozzarella, penne, and pesto. Cook on high for 30 minutes.
4. Serve with freshly grated paremesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment