Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's!

With Valentine's Day falling on a Monday, and the boy working both Sunday & Monday night, we decided to celebrate a few nights early on Saturday. But before we went out I spent the morning watching the boy's niece and nephew. This is what the living room looked like about halfway through the visit, and still looks like even now.
The aftermath
After we, but not necessarily the house, got cleaned up the boy and I headed to the very romantic movie of two star crossed lovers, Gnomeo & Juliet. I tried to take a picture of us in the parking lot but had a semi-fail. Although even with the blurriness there's still something I really like about this shot.
Trying for a Picture
After the movie we headed to one of our favorite restaurants Geisha House for sushi. We both got our "regulars" (Yaki Udon with a salmon roll for him, Nigiri sampler for me).
But once in the restaurant the boy pointed out Ben McDonald. I wouldn't have been able to recognize him myself, but the boy has trained me enough that the name did mean something to me. In case you haven't been trained, Ben McDonald is a former LSU pitcher who led them to 2 College World Series titles, was the number 1 MLB draft pick in 1989, and went on to play for the Baltimore Orioles and Milwaukee Brewers. We wound up sitting at a table next to him as his family and as the were leaving I worked up the courage to ask for a picture.
With Ben McDonald
After dinner we walked over to Cupcakes 'n Cream, our new local cupcake shop. I still think Cupcake Couture had better cupcakes, but these ones were ginormous. It's hard to tell from the picture but they were huge, with a ton of frosting. I was only able to eat about 3/4 of my salted caramel cupcake before I gave up. But the entire thing along with it's caramel center was delicious. I think next time I'll make a point to only eat half in one sitting.
Salted Caramel Cupcake
Once home the spend the rest of the night on the couch, this time I was actually able to take a picture I'm quite happy with. The more I look at it, I think it going to be one of my favorites.
On the Couch
We opted not to exchange presents because only one of us had a present to exchange it wasn't yet Valentine's Day. Although I'm told since the boy is buying me exactly what I asked for there may not be much of a surprise.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! Would you prefer to know exactly what you're getting or have more of a surprise? And do you have any qualms about exchanging Valentine's presents even if it's not actually Valentine's yet?

2 comments: