Wednesday, August 14, 2013

From Miss to Mrs: Let's Get Toasty

During dinner after everyone has made it through the buffet, we started the speeches with my Maid of Honor. (Of course, while my MOH actually handed me a copy of her speech, now almost a year later I have no idea where it is, so I'll do my best to transcribe it from the video I have.)
00550
I'm so glad you could all make it with Hurricane Isaac. Well, Shoshanah... here we are... We have come to a major milestone in your life. Throughout our 28 years of friendship, we've had endless birthday parties together, bat mitzvahs, graduations, and parties just because.

Before I go into more detail, I'd like to give a little background for those who don't know about Shoshanah and I, and why I'm the one lucky enough to be standing here today. Shoshanah and I have been friends ever since we were in our mother's wombs. We always liked to say we were friends before we were born because we would talk to each through our mom's stomachs. I came out first, but my very best friend followed less than 2 months later and from that moment on we were pretty inseparable. We were in playgroup together, started pre-school together, and dressed up as Snow White together, multiple times.

Our younger years are a bit foggy to me, but as anyone who has the pleasure of knowing Shoshanah knows that Shosh has a great memory and will remind you every time if you forget something, even the slightest detail. This actually has been great for me as Shoshanah's friend, I have like an external live time machine. I can call anytime, ask a question about our lives, and Shoshanah has the answer.

Shoshanah and I have been through a lot together and know almost every aspects of each other's lives and the road that brought us here. Throughout the 28 years I've known Shoshanah, I've come to cherish the qualities that make her an amazing person and appreciate the unique qualities she holds. Unique qualities such as a "Yo" after a majority of her sentences, still loving the Backstreet Boys with the passion of her 14-year-old self, and when she is trying to fall asleep at night she turns over every two minutes, so good luck with that [the Boy]!
(To which the boy chimed in, "Yes, she freaking does!")
00570
The greatest part of mine and Shoshanah's friendship is that it has endured the test of a long-distance relationship. Every since we were 5 and moved 40 minutes away from each other, from California to Maryland to Boston to Louisiana... To Louisiana? You're moving where? And I'm pretty sure I also said to her, "Maybe you'll meet you're husband there!" and voila, here we are.

The first phone call I received from Shosh regarding the boy was when she mentioned a guy from her math class had asked her on a date, to be specific her combinatorics class. Did I say that right? The boy had approached her after class and asking something along the lines of, "Why don't you ever say anything in class?" and in typical Shoshanah fashion she said, "I don't talk to strangers." And off they went into their courtship.

The first 3 years of dating I only met the boy once and it was brief. And then last year, I came to Louisiana for a little visit. I wasn't sure what to expect, and prayed that I'd like this man that was marrying, pretty much my sister. The boy was very chivalrous in his Southern way, and at dinner one evening I realized that he was the one for her. I realized that the boy knew her just as well as I did, if not better. She had met her match and I couldn't be happier for her.
00558
Well, [the boy] even though I one-up on you in the number of years I've known Shoshanah, I am so happy and so grateful that you have become her husband today. In the time that I've spent with you, I know you will take the best care of her for the rest of your lives and that she will do the same for you.

I wanted to find something special to read about your love for each other and relationship. About 6 months ago I was reading a memoir, and there was a beautiful poem that I thought related to both of you, and most importantly, it was a metaphor using the mathematical number pi, although I don't really know exactly what pi is... So here it goes...

"It is done like pi. There may be a thousand millions places after the decimal point still to be discovered, and those places may be surprising or difficult or happy or wonderful, but the numbers are already there waiting for them. They are meant for each other, and they will be together forever."

Let's all raise our glasses, to the boy and Shoshanah, wishing them a life full of love, laughter, a lot of movie nights, card tournaments, trivia nights, maybe a Backstreet Boys reunion concert, and billiards, but most importantly, happiness. Here's to Shoshanah and the Boy.

00559
The plan was actually for our MOH to give the only speech at the reception. I was just a little leery of how alcohol and boys mix, but as it happened someone asked our Best Man when he wanted to give a speech. So once our MOH sat down he took the floor.
00566
Since he gave his speech at the last minute, I definitely don't have a hard copy of it. And unfortunately for you, I don't have a video of it (although maybe that's a fortunately considering how long this post already is). So you'll just have to trust me that his speech was great as well, especially considering he wasn't expecting to say anything until moments before.

Who did you decide to have speak at your reception? Or have you ever given a Maid of Honor speech for a friend?

All photos in this post courtesy of Sabree Hill Photography.

Miss a Recap Post?
From Miss to Mrs: The Calm Before the Storm
From Miss to Mrs: There's a Hurricane Coming?
From Miss to Mrs: Here Comes Isaac
From Miss to Mrs: Weathering the Cane
From Miss to Mrs: After the Storm
From Miss to Mrs: Trials and Tribulations
From Miss to Mrs: The Last Errands
From Miss to Mrs: A Night on the Town
From Miss to Mrs: The Hangover
From Miss to Mrs: Rehearsing in the Heat
From Miss to Mrs: The Last Single Supper
From Miss to Mrs: Gifting the Girls
From Miss to Mrs: The Last Single Night
From Miss to Mrs: Oh What a Beautiful Morning
From Miss to Mrs: Getting Prettified
From Miss to Mrs: Prepping the Plantation
From Miss to Mrs: Turtle Time
From Miss to Mrs: The Photographer Has Arrived
From Miss to Mrs: Becoming the Bride
From Miss to Mrs: Dress Details
From Miss to Mrs: Ou Est le Groom?
From Miss to Mrs: A Bridge-y First Look
From Miss to Mrs: Couple Time
From Miss to Mrs: Just the Two of Us
From Miss to Mrs: Grouping the Girls
From Miss to Mrs: Ain't No Party Like a Bridal Party
From Miss to Mrs: Fun with Family
From Miss to Mrs: Making it Official
From Miss to Mrs: The Bedeken
From Miss to Mrs: The Final Minutes
From Miss to Mrs: Programming Break
From Miss to Mrs: The Processional
From Miss to Mrs: Walking the Walk
From Miss to Mrs: Circle to Ceremony
From Miss to Mrs: Remembrance to Kiddush
From Miss to Mrs: The Exchanges
From Miss to Mrs: Lucky Number Seven
From Miss to Mrs: Mazel Tov
From Miss to Mrs: Ceremony Details
From Miss to Mrs: The Yichud
From Miss to Mrs: Extended Fun with Family
From Miss to Mrs: The One Who Found You
From Miss to Mrs: You Are My Fire
From Miss to Mrs: Eat, Drink, and Be Married
From Miss to Mrs: I Want Candy
Chits and Giggles

7 comments:

  1. great speech! you are lucky to have a life long friend like that. I think it's so funny that your husband chimed in on your sleeping habits!
    My brother spoke at my wedding and he only embarrassed me a little. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, I don't think I was embarrassed too much. And I've heard them both complaint about my sleeping habits before. When the boy first started complaining I used to tell him, "Talk to my best friend" because she always told me the same. I kind of love the fact that she brought it up in her speech.

      Delete
  2. Awww! I'm tearing up at my desk! Your friend is so sweet and her speech was incredible. Your friendship is admirable as well. My sister (MOH) and Andrew's best friend will speak at ours...and I'm hoping alcohol won't be an issue! Fingers crossed! :)

    Thanks for sharing and thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I'm wishing you luck there too. I think in general people try to behave when they know they're giving a speech, but you never know!

      Delete
  3. Aw that is such a beautiful speech! I loved my MOH's speech and she also gave me a hard copy afterwards and I have it on video. I was also a little leery about the Best Man speech but he ended up doing a really great job and even made me cry a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I don't know that any of the speeches made me cry, I think I was too caught up in all the excitement for tears to actually happen.

      Delete
  4. What a great speech! My MOH's speech was great, but the best man's.... not so much. He mentioned that he and my husband had gone though "a lot of women, a lot of heartache..." and we still quote it mockingly all the time. You can hear me in my wedding video telling the MOH it was the worst speech ever. It was that bad. But everyone remembered it!

    ReplyDelete