Friday, August 2, 2013

The Secret Lion

The Tudor Secret by C.W. Gortner
Published:
February 1, 2011
First Published: September 30, 2004
This is a mystery that takes place at the court of Edward VI. Except the big mysteries are comprised of What are the Dudleys planning? What is happening to Edward VI? Who win reign after his death? All good questions, and things that kept people talking at that time. Except if you know this period of history, most of these big mysteries aren't really secrets at all.

Luckily, there was at least one mystery that isn't solved by knowing history, that of our protagonist, Brendan Prescott who works for the Dudleys. He does get caught up right in the middle of everyone's plans, and actually winds up being a bit of a spy himself. While he tries to figure out who is in the right, he also discovers where he actually came from.

This books has the makings of a great story, but it just wasn't that inspiring to me. I think maybe if I had been less familiar with this period in history I would have gotten more wrapped up. It ins't necessarily bad though, and I did enjoy it overall. I'm actually planning on reading the sequel to this next which takes place at the court of Mary I. Hopefully that one has a few more surprises for me, and I'm able to enjoy it a bit more.

3.5/5

Today I'm linking up with Blonde Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday!

1 comment:

  1. Found you through Book Club Friday.

    I love the books based on the Tudors. Such an interesting time. I haven't read a historical fiction in much to long.

    ReplyDelete