Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Two Times the Queen

Captive Queen by Alison Weir
When I told a friend of mine I was reading a novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine I was surprised to hear she didn't know who that was. I guess I sometimes forget that everyone one isn't as obsessed with English history as I. While I'd like to say she needs no introduction I guess that really isn't the case.

Eleanor was an heiress to the land of Aquitaine (now Southern France) in her own right and married the King of France. Except she annulled that marriage and instead married the King of England,making her both the Queen of France and the Queen of England. While Eleanor may not be known, her sons King Richard the Lionheart and King John of Magna Carta fame, are probably more known for their link to Robin Hood.

As for the book, it's written by Alison Weir someone whose books I've always been a fan of. What I like is that she is primarily as historical, not historical fiction, writer, and because of that I feel I can trust that the story I'm reading is based on actual fact.

While I did enjoy the book, I have to admit it's not my favorite of hers. In fact not only did I enjoy her other historical novels I enjoyed some of her non-fiction books more as well. I think part of that is due to the fact there is so much in it. It does span over 50 years, so it's something I would expect. But there seem to be so many details and a lot of politics that as parts, especially during her captivity it drags a bit.

Even though it wasn't my favorite of her, I would still recommend it, especially if you're curious about Eleanor of Aquitaine. But if you're looking to try out her work as a historical fiction writer I would recommend starting with her first novel, Innocent Traitor about Lady Jane Grey.

3 comments:

  1. I have NO idea how I missed your comment on my blog post. Thank you for coming from Weddingbee to come visit! Anywho, this bitch sounds fierce and I've always loved reading about royals. Interesting recc!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time you add a book like this, I add it to my read list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have added another book to my TBR pile!
    I LOVE historical fiction. And I haven't read anything by Allison Weir yet, but I know that people rave about her, so I'm excited to read what I do have!

    ReplyDelete