Monday, January 3, 2011

The Story of Frances, Countess of Essex

The Murder in the Tower by Jean Plaidy
I've loved all the Jean Plaidy books I've read, so it really isn't a surprise that I loved this one too. I think what I love about this it that while it is about a historical figure it isn't about an actual king or queen, at least they're not central to the plot.

The book takes place at the court of King James I of England. It's main story centers around Frances Howard who would come to be the Countess of Essex. She's married at a young age then decides to have one affair after another (including one with the Prince of Whales), and even dabbles in witchcraft in order to make sure everything goes her way.

While I know these books aren't non-fiction, I know they are well researched and that most of what I'm reading is historical truth. King James I's reign isn't one that I've read a lot of. Don't get me wrong I still love reading about the slightly older Tutor times, there's only so many different ways you can tell the story of Anne Boleyn. Not only is the time period something slightly new for me, I had never heard of the Countess of Essex before, so it's definitely nice reading a story where I really had no idea of the ending. Honestly, while I love all of Jean Plaidy's books, I really think this one might be one of my favorites of hers.

1 comment: