Thursday, January 20, 2011

And now, my beauties, something with poison in it.

Poppies!
source
The boy has been after me lately to bake poppy seed muffins. He isn't normally a fan of baked goods, so the fact that he was actually asking for one specifically is a big deal. Since it gave me a reason to bake I was more than happy to comply.

Except, have you ever tried to bake poppy seed muffins? We weren't able to find poppy seeds anywhere. Nor could we even find a poppy seed muffin mix. I know that they are technically a mild opiate, but still I can't imagine they've stopped selling them. Or maybe I'm just looking at the wrong place.

But after what felt like months of searching we finally found a mix a Wal-mart of all places. We bought two bags (each one made 6 muffins) and got to work.
Poppy Seed Muffin Mix
It was really one of the easiest mixes after. At first I was worried that we'd need to pick up eggs at the store in the middle, but all we needed to add was milk. After throwing them in the oven we had our batch of muffins!
Poppy Seed Muffins
They wound up turning out great and were so easy. At least they were once we were able to track them down.

Anyone else have trouble buying poppy seeds? Or I am really just shopping at the wrong places?

6 comments:

  1. My dad gets me them in "bulk" think costco size spice container at a restaurant depot. I can usually only find the 1.75 ounce container! I make a poppy seed cake (to die for) and it needs 2 oz, so I go through them a lot!

    Those muffins look delicious too!

    Tamar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked at a homeless shelter my first year of seminary and we would do random drug testing. One day a bunch of the residents came up to me freaking out because the church volunteers had served poppyseed muffins and they were all afraid they were going to fail! My supervisor thought I was kidding when I told him what was going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks yummy! I've never made poppy seed muffins so I am not sure how hard poppy seeds or mixes are to find but I feel like I've seen them in my store. maybe they are more available in California? at least you found some! hope they tasted as good as they look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never ate a poppy seed muffin or tried to make them. That's so weird that it was hard to find! Glad you were able to find them and that they turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm cracking up as I read this post because I was going to recommend this exact brand to you. And what makes it so funny, is that I am actually making them for a bake sale.

    If you want just poppy seeds, normally you can find them in the baking aisle of a grocery store. Do you have Whole Foods or Trader oe's by you? Try there too.

    If not then here's a good web site to buy on-line:

    http://www.nutsonline.com/cookingbaking/seeds/poppy/blue.html?gclid=CPGqxcakz6YCFYLd4AodqQxOIw

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete