Monday, January 10, 2011

Monday Movie Review

The King's Speech
To quickly summarize, the movie is about England's King George VI's ascent to the throne and how he has to overcome a speech impediment. Not necessarily the most exciting of topics, but it turned out really good. It's not too surprising if you look through my book reviews that I'm a fan of the English monarchy. So it wouldn't be unexpected that I enjoyed the movie, but what you might find a little more out of the ordinary was that the boy enjoyed it as well.

The movie brought up an interesting point about how the monarchy, and I'm sure the rest of the world, had to change with technology. Before radio and television, the king might have to give a speech to his advisers, but with the new mediums the speech went worldwide. A generation before the fact that the king had a stutter might not matter, but knowing that he was going to be broadcast worldwide it was suddenly an issue.

As for the movie itself there were a lot of funny moments, which is the main thing that kept the boy watching. Colin Firth was really good, and I'd be surprised if he doesn't win an Oscar for this. Helena Bonham Carter was excellent too, as was Geoffrey Rush. Any even the little girls who played Princess Elizabeth (aka Queen Elizabeth II) and Princess Margaret were adorable.

In my opinion, this is probably an Oscar front runner. While it is a historical piece, I wouldn't call it "stuffy", and think that even if you're not a fan of this type of film you could be pleasantly surprised.

3 comments:

  1. I adore Colin Firth so really want to see this! Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this movie - one of my favorites! I think he will definitely win an Oscar or the movie will!

    ReplyDelete