Thursday, January 13, 2011

Faux-sagna

Not too long ago I picked up this jar of butternut squash pasta sauce on whim.
Dave's Gourmet Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
I hadn't heard anything about it, but it sounded interesting enough that I wanted to try it. (Of course I later discovered that the brand, Dave's Gourmet, also makes one of my brother's favorite hot sauces called Insanity sauce.) But the verdict on the sauce was amazing good. Once I opened it I had some every day until I ran out of pasta.

Except even though I was out of pasta I couldn't let the sauce go to waste. I thought of eating the sauce by itself (it's just like a soup right?), but I guess that's frowned upon in some circles. So I hunted around in the cupboards till I found a box of lasagna noodles, and thought I could use that! Enter... faux-sanga!
Faux-sagna
I boiled a few noodles, layered them with sauce and feta, and topped the whole thing with parmesan. Honestly it was so good! But I was really just looking for a vessel for the pasta sauce and this met it's goal. I haven't seen the sauce since, but the next time I do I am definitely buying it and we might be in for another round of faux-sagna.

Anyone else ever come up with some "creative" dinner solutions?

6 comments:

  1. Mmmm, that sauce looks yummy! I've never heard of it, where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think some of my most creative dinners have happened over the past two weeks with holiday leftovers! That sauce looks delicious, I want to try some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. That sauce looks delicious. I have been sort of obsessed w/ lasagna lately... I hadn't had it since going gluten free because I could never find gf lasagna noodles - then I found some in December. :)

    That sauce sounds awesome. You'll have to stock up on it when/if you see it again!

    I am terrible at coming up w/ creative dinners... I am not good at 'winging it' in the kitchen! But I did come up w/ a good dish this fall w/ diced tomatoes, ground turkey, green peppers, kidney beans, and a bunch of different spices. It was sort of like a chili. It was so good. But of course I can never replicate it since I didn't measure out the spices, etc!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so good and the sauce sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen this sauce!!!! It sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you posted this review! I was looking at this sauce at Cost Plus World Market and trying to decide whether it was worth buying. Now I will definitely pick some up and give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete