Friday, November 28, 2014

Good-bye to the Mennyms

Mennyms Alive by Sylvia Waugh
Published
: October 1, 1997 by Greenwillow Books
Series: Mennyms Alive
I read this series over and over throughout middle and high school, but it wasn't till I was in college that I even knew this final book existed. I still remember my sophomore year of college when my mom it for me for my birthday. I was so excited that I could finally finish this series.

I know I mentioned in my post about the last Mennyms book that it was different from all the rest. While that is still true, this 5th and final book, while similar to the 4th, is once again completely different. Without giving too much away the Mennyms are in a completely different place and dealing with issues they've never thought about before. Plus like the book preceding this isn't entirely told from the Mennyms perspective.

One reason I never even thought to look for this book earlier is that the 4th book feels so final. Yes, it ends on a bit of a cliffhanger, but one that makes sense. Instead this one not only feels final but wraps up all the loose ends. I would still love another book on the Mennyms to check in with them and see what they're up to now, except in a way that would kind of defeat this purpose of its ending.

I'm so glad I took the time to reread this favorite series of mine, and it gets me excited about rereading some of my other favorites. There's the obvious choices, at least to me, of the Betsty-Tacy Series, The Little House series, or Anne of Green Gables, but there's a few slightly less obvious ones like the Alanna Series, The Indian in the Cupboard series, or The Face on the Milk Carton series. So I guess you'll just have to wait and see which one I turn to next!

5/5

Today I'm linking up with Blonde Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday!

1 comment:

  1. I am in the middle of book one of The Mennyms and I am really enjoying it. Thanks for introducing them to me.

    ReplyDelete