Friday, November 21, 2014

Back to Bradley

Husband-Coached Childbirth by Robert A. Bradley, M.D.
Published
: May 20, 2008 by Bantam
First Published: 1965
This is the 3rd childbirth book I've read in recent months. You would think it would start to get repetitive, that you'd have the same ideas and principles drilled into you over and over again, but I haven't found that to be the case. The just isn't the how-to book that Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way was nor it is full of empowering birth stories like Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. Instead it's much more scientific and shows not only where the Bradley Method came from but why it happened.

I thought it was fascinating hearing what childbirth was like for the majority of women back in the '40s and '50s. As much as you may hear people complaining about hospitals today, reading this you realize how far we've really come. I know that husbands are almost expected in the delivery room now and also know that 100 years ago the father would likely be pacing the living room as his wife gave birth, but never really gave thought to how that actually changed, and it was really interesting to read.

This isn't necessarily the perfect book though. It is a little jarring to read Dr. Bradley constantly comparing how women and animals give birth. I understand the reason for it, and while I wouldn't take it out completely, I didn't need to hear it over and over. The book also is written more towards the coaching partner audience. There was still a lot I was able to get out of it, but it would have been nice to feel like I was reading a book meant for me.

Even so, I think this is my favorite out of the childbirth books I've read. I just think the scientific aspect of it all really spoke to me. But yet, I wouldn't recommend it as the only childbirth book to read. I'd probably still stick with Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way which is a lot more practical. But if you have time for a second, then definitely this one so you can understand where all those practices came from.

4.5/5

Today I'm linking up with Blonde Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like an interesting read even if you aren't having a baby. And I found snippets of various books and videos and stuff my midwife had said came back to me during labour and it all helped, so you never know what will be useful.

    ReplyDelete