Friday, June 17, 2016

You Scream, I Scream

Almost Home by Mariah Stewart
Published
: March 22, 2011 by Ballantine Books
Series: Chesapeake Diaries #3
When I was in 1st grade I wanted to be an ice cream man when I grew up (or an astronaut for somewhat higher ambitions). When I was in college, I wanted to be a food chemist creating ice cream flavors. Needless to say, I was quite excited to finally read the book in this series about the ice cream maker.

First of all, I love hearing all the new flavors Steffie makes in her ice cream shop. (Actually they're mentioned in passing throughout the series, but obviously more here.) I also loved seeing her process of making new flavors. Of course, each time it made me hungry and wish I could try them all.

But while the ice cream is important, there's a love story here that's the highlight. Like I say in all my reviews about this series, it's obvious what's going to happen. But that's half of the fun! The love interest here is a craft beer brewer who has a secret I wouldn't have expected, but is reveled fairly early on.

Of course the fun part of reading a series like this is getting to check in on all the other characters. There's lots of big updates from past protagonists, which makes it feel like your catching up with an old friend.

These books are always so much fun to read, and now that it's summer I think it's the perfect weather for me to pick up another one!

4.5/5

Disclosure: I was provided this book from the publisher. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment