Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Going Back to Cali: Days 1 and 2

I was deathly afraid of our first plane flight with a baby. I've just been on too many plane flights with babies that screamed THE ENTIRE TIME to imagine we would escape unscathed. Except I really should have had more faith in Elley. After all, she's such a good baby normally her plane behavior really shouldn't have come as too much of a surprise.
photo 14
Not the clearest of photos, but it's hard to take a photo in such tight spaces
The worst thing she did was fill her diaper as we were taking off, which meant we couldn't change her till the seat belt sign came off. I actually tried to go earlier, but was told by a flight attendant it wasn't safe to be up.

Besides that though, we didn't have any issues with her. She nursed during take-off. (Of course while I sat next to a guy who looked to be in his late teens or early twenties. A little awkward, but we survived.) We brought her stuffed hippo, which we've napped trained her with, and used that to get her to take a nap in my arms. She ate some homemade hummus we brought along as a snack and drank some water from a sippie cup. She did nurse about an hour before landing which was a little awkward, but used her pacifier during landing and didn't seem to have any issues with the pressure change.

Our flight actually landed pretty early, intentional by us to make sure we could put her to bed at a normal time. But while we made it back to my dad's at a normal time, we spent the rest of the day hanging out at the house since even though she was good for the 4-hour flight, it wasn't what I'd list as relaxing.
photo 16
The next day we headed out to spend time with my BFF, Elley's godmother. Her schedule worked out where she was able to be in California at the same time as us, and we met up at her mom's house. (Which if you remember is where I had my bridal shower 3 years ago.) The last time I saw her was in January when she flew out to meet Elley, so we had a lot to catch up on.
First Time Swimming
But even so, the highlight of the day had to be swimming, aka the first time Elley got to spend time in a pool. We weren't sure how she'd do, especially since she's only recently started liking her baths, but she had a blast.
photo 21
She figured out how to splash, which you can almost see by how much water is on her face by the last photo.
photo 22
Overall, a great way to start our California trip.

5 comments:

  1. I am glad that the flight went pretty smoothly for you guys! I can see how nursing in public would be a little bit awkward, but I think people tend to not look at others on flights so hopefully that helped! And more people tend to nurse in public these days, so hopefully people are more used to it?

    That is great that Elley loved the water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, that is so awesome! I am crossing my fingers Caleb will behave on his first flight which we're hoping will be to California next year. Our flight is all the way from NY to CA so I'm thinking it'll be really long. That's amazing that she did so well on your flight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh the pictures of her in the pool are so so sweet! She looks so happy haha! Glad she was a good little flier :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like so much fun! My kids were great fliers. The only flight I've ever had an issue with was traveling to Saskatoon (a three and a half hour flight) when Rachel was just over two. Nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and Elley are too cute together! I also wear big floppy hats in the pool to protect my skin.

    ReplyDelete