Saturday, September 5, 2009

It's a Surprise

Yesterday laying out at the pool I read this article from the August Real Simple. (No I don't subscribe people normally leave their old magazines in the laundry room and this was one I recycled.) The article was about a group of 6 friends that go on vacation together every year. Not just any vacation, a surprise vacation!

The way it works is that each year one of the 6 is in charge to plan. They're given a per person budget (that's supposed to include airfare) and a weekend to work with when everyone can go, but no other restrictions. The a few weeks before the trip they let everyone one in on the surprise. They then alternate every year. Which means every 6th year you'd have to plan a vacation, but the other 5 you'd have everything planned for you. So far some of the trips they've gone on include renting a house in New England, staying on a ranch in Colorado, and booking a hotel room in NYC.

How much fun would this be to do with a group of friends? I know it can be hard to keep up with friends especially when you like me seem to always more around the country. But this would be such a great way to see everybody every year. And on top of that most of the time you don't have to do any of the planning. Yes, the year you plan would be stressful, but I think it'd be forth it. There's also the fact that its a surprise to look forward to every year. I would so love to do this, maybe with my college friends? Anyone else think this sounds like a great idea?

~Shoshanah

P.S. The first LSU game of the season's on tonight! I stopped by Target earlier today, and I'm pretty sure every person in there was wearing LSU colors. Let's Geaux Tigers!

14 comments:

  1. that is a great idea! because really, I do hate planning trips! I am going to canada later this month for a friend's wedding and I was so stressed figuring out where to stay, how to get there, how I'm going to pay for it... haha. I ended up booking the room fine and figuring out the ferry, but the boy is taking care of the airfare because his mom is an ex-flight attendant. that always helps.

    anyway, I say all that to say, that IS a great idea! :) hope you are having a good labor day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's an awesome idea! I love surprises and knowing my friends, they'd plan the funnest trips! I think this is something I might have to start doing with them! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Tigers....Just blog hopping tonight and enjoyed your blog.
    Hope you will stop by and visit my new Christmas blog. There is a great giveaway this week.
    http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like an awesome idea when it comes to traveling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your idea. Hope you are as pumped for football as me! Enjoy your long weekend and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a fun idea...I would love to do something like that with my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that idea! I don't have enough girlfriends to do that though...I'd go full circle through my friends in 3 years!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is such a super cool idea! I love it!! Now I would just have to find a group of girlfriends to do it with, I tend to be the planner in my group of friends.. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this sounds totally fun! I would love to do something like this with a group of friends!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome idea!! I definitely want to do this at some point. The surprise and anticipation are probably as fun as the actual trip!

    Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That would be so much fun!! My group of girlfriends isn't very good about going on trips together, but maybe someday we'll get better about it? We are starting to talk about a big trip for our 30th birthdays in Jan of 2011 so i am really hoping that comes to fruition!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a FUN idea! Love this.

    I think I've mentioned this before... my family is from LA and they're huge LSU fans. I heard they won on Saturday. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is very cool! I sent it on to my girl friends to see what they think. I just hope they all would be able to let go of their control freak nature to do something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Doesn't that sound like a great idea! I'd love to go on a surprise trip!

    ReplyDelete