Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Cloudy with a Chance of Surrogates

I really love it when to movie titles fit together so well. It's a little silly, but it makes me awfully happy. I guess we can do this in the order I saw them.

Surrogates
I actually wasn't completely opposed to seeing this one. It had an interesting concept behind it, similar to Gamer, except instead of having your life controlled by someone else, you're controlling your life through something else. Think about it, you'd be free to live your whole life from the comfort of your own home. You wouldn't have to feel any pain, worry about catching the swine flu, and be afraid of getting hurt or dying in an accident. As you might expect you'd wind up giving up quite a few things in the process.

There were a few logical flaws, which they did at least try to address. For example, how can children have a surrogate? Its not like the machine can age? Are they just supposed to stay cooped up inside until they become an adult and are surrogate age? Or do you let children out in the real world to mingle with all the machines. I will say they did allude to how this might work, but I still have a few questions.

Overall, I'd say the movie was exciting and had a few unexpected plot turns. Its a good movie, and I'd would easily choose it over Gamer but I think it might be one to wait to see on dvd.

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
This one I was really looking forward to seeing. I remember reading the book in pre-school although didn't really remember the plot line. What I do remember is that we got to read the book and then made spaghetti and meatballs as a class! Clearly, a fun activity since its over 20 years later and I still remember doing it.

We saw the movie in 3-D because I've become a little 3-D obsessed. Normally they used the 3-D in a much more passive way, where you forget you're watching something in 3-D by the middle but it still looks amazing. This one they took advantage of the fact that it was a kid's movie and had a few things (mainly flying food) coming right out you.

Its really a fun movie, which of course has a good kid friendly message in it. There is the fact that the movie dies early on in the movie, but its pretty hard to find an animated kid's movie where both of the parents are alive the entire time. I would say if you're going to see the movie go see it in theater with 3-D. Yes, it is more expensive, but I think its worth it. I have heard that these 3-D movies are coming out as 3-D on dvd. While I do think that's great, I'm not sure it'll feel quite as awesome as it does in a big theater.

~Shoshanah

7 comments:

  1. Love your movie reviews! I never get around to going to the movies :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see cloudy with a chance of meatballs- it sounds so cute~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanna see this but I don't think I'll be able to this weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy reading you movie reviews. I'm looking forward to seeing Surrogates. I saw the trailer and the plot does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to see Surrogates but I don't know if we'll get around to seeing it in the theater.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I just say that I LOVE your mixed titles? This one made me laugh a whooooole lot lol!!!

    I really want to go see the CLoudy movie, and I will definitely see it in 3D!

    ReplyDelete
  7. im obsessed with 3d movies too! theey just make it that much more fun to go see in the theater! i think my bf wants to see surrogates.... it seems really intriguing!

    ReplyDelete