Sunday, July 5, 2009

Ice Enemies

Or if you'd prefer "Public Age." Not quite the best weekend to play with the titles, and maybe even not quite the best movie weekend.

Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
I love 3-D movies, and will see almost everyone in the theaters. Ok, maybe I won't go see G-Force, but when Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and A Christmas Carol come out I will be there! Like most of the 3-D movies you really only notice the effect at the start and at the end. At the start because its new and exciting. And during t he credits because the 3-D is made to look way overdone. During the actual movie they want you to pay more attention to the story than the effects. But if you ever stop throughout the movie and actually pay attention to what you're looking at it looks awesome. For example, the fur on the woolly mammoths looks crazy good.

But moving past the effects to the actual movie. This was actually the first Ice Age film I've seen, but I don't feel like I was missing anything. It wasn't like there was a huge back story that I was missing. Overall though, I thought the movie was only ok. According to the boy the first was a lot better. It was fun, but I thought it seemed really long. And I'm sure if I thought it seemed long it must have seen even longer for the kids. Really though, the only reason I'd recommend seeing this is for the 3-D effects. Although if you haven't seen a 3-D movie yet, there are better ones out there.

Public Enemies
After the movie the boy said he was hoping for more action scenes. After the movie I was hoping for less gore. I guess that's where the went, right down the middle of the road in an attempt to not turn people off of the movie. I'm not normally big on these type of gangster movies, however I am big on historical movies. So I guess that made it a good compromise.

But if I'm being honest, the real reason I wanted to see this. Of course its because of Johnny Depp! I mean look at the poster. And Christian Bale's also in the movie if your partial to him. I did like this movie, but I think you might be better off waiting till its comes out on dvd.

So my thoughts if you want to go see a movie soon. I'd say avoid these two. If you're looking for an action movie, instead of Public Enemies go see Transformers. And if you're looking for a 3-D animated film instead of Ice Age go see Up. I hope this was at least a little bit helpful as always, and I hope everybody had a happy 4th of July!

~Shoshanah

4 comments:

  1. oooh!! i want to see this. i love marion cotillard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like Public Enemies. I'm thinking of seeing it but I was worried that it was all hyped up instead of actually being good....

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Erin I had completely forgotten about her! I did think she was really good in this though

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering how these movies are/were.

    I liked Up! I thought it was cute.

    ReplyDelete