Thursday, July 16, 2009

Enchiladas

Amy's Enchilada
Amy's Enchilada
Let me start out by saying that I don't normally like enchilada's, which meant I was a little hesitant to buy this. But the reason I don't like them is because they are normally far too cheesy for me, and I'm just not big on melted cheese. But since the box says vegan and non-dairy I thought I might be safe. I was a little worried there would be some fake cheese substitute thing, but luckily this was not the case!

This meant the actual enchilada was packed for of just vegetables (and probably tofu as well), but no actual cheese. The sauce that topped it off was really good, and left a little kick at the end. I think my favorite part might have been the rice though. The flavors in the rice just really seemed to work.

The only thing I was a little disappointed with were the beans. I heated it for 5 minutes like the directions said. You can kind of tell from the picture that the beans got heated a little too much. They still tasted fine, but weren't amazing. Of course the instructions do say to use heating times as a guideline, and that they may very per microwave. Maybe that means I should be microwaving my food slightly less. I know I've had this problem at least once before.

One final thing I did like about this it that is was a whole meal (yes, it actually says whole meal on the box). I'm pretty sure Amy's sell its enchilada's two ways. One as a meal with rice and beans (aka what I bought). The second with two enchiladas and no sides. If you planning on eating by yourself I'd say whole meal is the way to go.

~Shoshanah

4 comments:

  1. I love the entire Amy's line! I lived on it in college when it was too expensive to cook meals for just me. They just came out with the Samosa's individually packaged and I'm loving being able to heat and eat just one as opposed to the 2 Samosa meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how we pretty much eat the same things.

    I've got Sean hooked on these. He couldn't believe something that tasted like that came out of a box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Amy's! Nice choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sad, because we don't have this over here :( Sniffles. It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete