Monday, July 6, 2009

Let Me See Your Funky Chicken

I'm not a big hamburger person. Actually let me correct that, I'm not a big fast food hamburger person. At a bbq I would prefer a hamburger over a hot dog, and every once in a while I will crave a restaurant burger. But a burger from a fast food place? Not going to happen. (Unless of course its an In-N-Out Burger, but does that really count as fast food?)

This creates the question what do I eat when I get fast food. I would love to be able to say I am healthy and never give in to the temptation but let's be realistic here. At any fast food restaurant I will always order the chicken nuggets. Or the chicken fries at Burger King. Or chicken selects at McDonald's. Either way, you get the picture.

This is the main reason why I love fast food restaurants that specialize in chicken. For example, Chick-Fil-A, which I say as its spelled Chick-Fil-A. You can't tell me that's isn't more fun than just saying Chick-fillet. Boring. But since I can't have Chick-fil-a all the time, especially not if its a Sunday, I have Raising Canes!

Raising Cane's is a chicken based fast food restaurant that was originally founded in Baton Rouge. Which means there's probably 15 or so in this city alone. I know they are slowly expanded, but I'm not sure what states they've made it to. I believe I heard something about Florida and Texas. Anyone want to deny or confirm? But what exactly are you getting at a Raising Canes?

Raising Cane's 3 Finger Combo
Raising Cane's 3 Finger Combo

To start with each of their meals come with a piece of Texas Toast (after all it is taking up almost the whole picture). I can't say I ever had a lot of Texas Toast before moving to Louisiana, but I love it now. You can't really tell because of the toast, but this is a 3 finger meal, aka 3 chicken fingers. I normally get the 4-finger meal otherwise known as the "Box Combo" but I wasn't particularly hungry this day. The Box Combo also comes with coleslaw, which isn't bad, but I'll normally exchange if for an extra piece of toast. Of course like all fast food restaurants it comes with fries. Honestly, their fries aren't that good either. However their chicken is awesome. Definitely the best fast food chicken I've had.

You can also see in the picture the Cane's sauce. I think its a combination of ketchup and mayonnaise of some sort. I'm not really sure. I'm not a big sauce person so I don't normally eat mine. Of course people who are big sauce people love this stuff. On their menu they actually list out the price for a drink cup filled with the sauce. Not really sure why you'd need that much.

Speaking of drinks I normally get their fresh made lemonade. They also make a sweet tea, but I still haven't developed a taste for it yet. You can also buy large jugs of either the lemonade or the tea so you can drink it all the time.

There is one thing I like about Raising Cane's that doesn't necessarily have to do with the food. They're similar to In-N-Out in that they seem t o treat their employees well. They are closed almost every holiday and always have a sign up saying they are closed for the crew. And I don't mean just big holidays. I mean they are closed for 4th of Jule, Father's Day, Mother's day and not just for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

If I had to pick my favorite fast food restaurant in Louisiana I'm pretty sure Raising Cane's might be it. Yes, I do love Taco Bell, but even Taco Bell tastes different outside of California. Have you ever heard of our tried Raising Cane's? Any thoughts? Or do you have a favorite fast food restaurant?

~Shoshanah

15 comments:

  1. I have never heard of Raising Canes! Sounds (and looks) delicious though. My favorite chicken place is Zaxby's, which I believe is only in the South. Do you have those in LA?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO with you on that one! I don't like burgers from fast food restaurants, only from a real restaurant or at a BBQ. I will almost ALWAYS get the chicken option at fast food places!!

    That food looks DELISH and is making me hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a raising canes in Huntsville, Al!!!!!! I had forgot all about this place! I only ate there once during the time I lived there but it was AMAZING! I also love Zaxbys and Chick Fil A

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried Zaxby's when I was in Georgia a few months ago, but as far as I know there aren't any in Louisiana. I did enjoy Zaxby's, but I don't think its as good as Raising Cane's

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm that looks so yummy! We don't have Raising Canes up north but I wish we did it looks so great! I'm the same way I always get chicken at every fast food place burgers def freak me out way too much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's funny! I only like fast food burgers. Homemade burgers are so meaty, and I'm just not a big fan of red meat. In & Out is the best though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's late and I'm hungry! :) I had Rasing Canes the first time in LA. YUM and I love dipping sauces too. Yes, they have moved to Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is the first I have heard of Raising Cane's. But the one time I had Chick-Fil-A, I loved it! I shamefully admit that I had a fast food burger today, though it was from a place called The Hat. It's not a huge chain, but it is still fast food and bad for me. But I feel like I don't get as sick feeling after I eat there... anyhow, back to your chicken. I would totally be down with the Texas toast, that look delish, and I would probably be the one to get a cup of sauce! haha. At In-N-Out I LOVE the "secret sauce" and I ask for a side of it for my fries. I am feeling like a fat cow talking about all this fast food so I am going to shut up now. I will redeem myself by saying I ate grilled chicken and corn for dinner. so there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sauce is amazing! You can use it for so much more than chicken. I use mine for chicken, fries and the toast. I have a friend who keeps big cups of it around for pizza, fries, you name it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never been down to Louisana, but this chicken place sounds great! I'm also a fan of opting for chicken at fried food places. I'll have to remember to stop there when and if I ever visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum... never heard of Raising Canes but it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love Canes! :-)
    I'm a sauce person and I usually get extra sauce instead of coleslaw! :-P

    The kids meal is the perfect size for lunch btw!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OOOOO, what a delicious plate you got there...The bread looks delicious. I'm so jealous! You eat such good lookin' food.

    Keep those food pictures comin'!

    ReplyDelete