Monday, December 7, 2015

Christmas in Montana

If Only in My Dreams by Mariah Stewart
Published
: November 30, 2015 by Pocket Star
One thing I love about Mariah Stewart's books is how they transport you to a picture perfect location. In her Chesapeake Diaries series it's Maryland's Eastern shore. But in this book it's a Montana ranch at Christmastime. Everything about the setting felt so magical and made me want to curl up with a warm mug of hot chocolate. It's definitely a story to get you in the holiday mood.

As for the story itself, it is a lot of fun. From the first few pages you learn that our characters (a children's book author and aprofessional baseball player) were high school sweethearts but something happened to drive them apart. As it so happens both of them are back in Montana for the holidays, so it's not too surprising where things are going to go. But even so, it's fun getting there. Once I realized what broke up their romance, it made perfect sense, and I sped through the rest of the novella waiting to see when they would resolve their misunderstanding.

If I had any complaint about this book it's that it's a novella. I started the book and was finished within 24 hours, but wished there had been more to keep going. There's several background characters that I could see in stories of their own. Hopefully the next time Stewart decides to visit the ranch in Montana she's there for an entire book!

4.5/5

Disclosure: I was provided this book from the publisher. All opinions expressed are my own.

1 comment:

  1. I really loved the whole Chesapeake Bay series and wish that our library carried more of her books.

    ReplyDelete