Monday, December 14, 2009

Who Turned Out the Lights

I had my post for tonight all thought out, and knew exactly what I wanted to tell you all. Except the drive home from work today was in the pouring scary rain. And instead of being 10 minutes as normal, it took my over 30 minutes get home. The main reason being that the stoplight closest to my apartment was out, which backed up traffic completely.

But not only was the stoplight out, the entire block had no power. It seems the combination of extreme rain and wind and thunder and lightning had downed a power line or two, and my apartment was without power. (Yes, there were other places without power, but clearly the fact MY apartment had no power is the most important!) Luckily, since it was Hanukkah, I still had matches on the table as well as Hanukkah candles. So I lit candles for the night (along with any other candle I could find in my apartment).

So I now had light, but no power. Without power I wasn't sure what to do. No power meant no TV, no internet, and no computer. I called people on my cell phone, until I realize the smart thing to do would be to save my cell's power, just in case. But since I had managed to light up part of my apartment I was able read until the boy got home.

Once he arrived home we figured the smart thing to do was to try to find somewhere with power that could feed us dinner. After a very leisurely dinner at What-A-Burger who headed home fingers crossed. And.... the power was back!

Its funny how helpless you can feel without something like electricy. And a little crazy to think that a hundred or so years ago, there was never any power. I mean how did they survive back then without the internet?

~Shoshanah

7 comments:

  1. Glad you got power back quick! I know how you feel, I would feel lost without tv and internet. Especially internet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol that's too funny! I definitely feel helpless without power and especially without internet or TV!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh girl, I know how you feel. In Houston my power seemed to go out often, espeically during a hurrincane. Life is dull and boring without power. I'm glad you found a good book and a place to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true!! We get so completely used to it!! I guess I'm pretty lucky because I don't even remember the last time my house had no power... But when it does happen... I will be feeling 100% helpless, I know it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how anyone got through college/graduate school without the internet. And microsoft word. And 24 hour coffee shops. It's a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I had heard the weather was bad but didn't know it was that bad! Glad you made it home safely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The area that I lived in didn't have power for 2 days last week! It was awful! Some houses had it, some didn't! Glad you got yours back on!

    ReplyDelete