Thursday, December 3, 2009

Back to the Tudor Times

This past weekend the boy and I went to the Louisiana Renaissance Festival. Growing up, I used to go the Renaissance Faire in Southern California all the time. But this was my first time attending the one in Louisiana. I had my mom send me my old costume, because its far more fun to dress up. The boy did not quite agree and went costume-less, so I traded him in for a slightly more magical date.
With a Wizard
Seriously though, I was actually a little surprised as to how few people attending were wearing a costume compared with what I was used to. Although that could be attributed to the fact the Louisiana Festival was only celebrating its 10th anniversary. Instead the faire I grew up going to is according to Wikipedia the first ever Renaissance Faire and started back in the 1960s.

Being that the faire is fairly new, it made sense that is was also smaller than what I was used to. But even though it was smaller it still had all the events I was expecting: shows, rides, lots of merchants, and lots of food. The boy and I tried to experience as much as we could! First we watched a show where the jester juggled three torches of fire while balanced on top of a large red ball that was balanced on top of a second large ball called the Earth. Yes, the typical Renaissance Faire humor was present.
Juggling all 3 torches
We saw a small joust which while obviously scripted was still at least a little amusing.
A second pass
And we even got to see Queen Elizabeth!
Queen Elizabeth I
Of course, the best part for me was all the food!
Falafels with rice and lentils
For lunch I had some oddly shaped falafels (maybe that's more authentic to the time period?), with rice and lentils. And I loved how there were cranberries mixed into it all. That's something I might have to remember for the future.

Of course, since this is me we're talking about I had to have dessert.
White Chocolate Fudge
I went with a chunk of white chocolate fudge which was lasted me for a two or two afterwards. Unfortunately, I have no more to eat. This is all the food I wound up eating, but I could have easily purchased more. Things like pickles, pretzels, popcorn (normal and kettle corn), cookies, and of course giant turkey legs.

All in all, I'm glad we went and overall we had a great time! Anyone else ever been to a Renaissance Faire? If not, I'd highly recommend going to one someday.

~Shoshanah

8 comments:

  1. The Renaissance Fair is cool but - white chocolate fudge??? Never tried that!!! Can you tell I have a sweet tooth? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to one but they seem like they'd be really fun! Oh how I love fudge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet. I love Ren faires. I haven't been to one in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't! The closest I've ever been to is the Medieval Times show in California. To be honest, it was for my little brothers birthday and I was really dreading it but it ended up being REALLY cool and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard about it on the radio and I've been wanting to go, but my hubby is TOTALLY NOT into that sort of thing!
    I may go up there by myself one of these days. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been to one but that looks so cool and the white chocolate fudge looks DELISH!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been, but I'd love to go. Awesome photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been to a Renaissance fair but I've always wanted to go. I love your costume! Your lunch looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete