Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Did You Hear About Sherlock Avatar Up in the Air?

Yes, I did see quite a few movies in the past week or so. I think the best way to do it is to end with the movie I would recommend the most. Get ready!

Did You Hear about the Morgans?
A cute premise overall. A couple on the verge of divorce winds up having to go into witness protection TOGETHER in the middle of NOWHERE. Not the most original plot, but who's seeing this movie for that. The only real reason to see it are the actors. First there's Sarah Jessica Parker, whose character could be Carrie Bradshaw. Then there's Hugh Grant, and I don't think there's a movie I don't love him in. I thought they were great together. I think this would be the perfect movie to watch when its on TV on a lazy Sunday, but don't think you need to run out and see it before its out of the theater.

Sherlock Holmes
While this movie is only my third choice its more because the top two are so good, not that there's anything lacking in this. I wasn't really sure what to expect with this, or if I would enjoy it. But I was definitely pleasantly surprised. I do like being able to see how Sherlock Holmes is thinking when he's explaining how he solves a case. But even more so when he starts to plan out his actions in a fight. Then there's also Rachel McAdams, and while its not my favorite performance of hers, I don't think I've seen a movie she's been bad it. Its definitely worth going to see in theater... at least assuming you've already seen the next two movies.

Up in the Air
I knew basically what this movie was about before I saw it. George Clooney is a guy who goes around the country firing people and he mentors Anna Kendrick (aka Jessica from Twilight), but I wasn't quite sure how they were going to be able to turn that into a whole movie. Yet, they did and it wound up being a great movie. Both Anna Kendrick are really good, and definitely does deserve the Oscar nominations they are likely to get. Also interesting is the fact that some of the firing scenes include real footage of real people getting fired. While I did enjoy the movie throughout, it wasn't till the end I realized how much I loved it and how much it truly spoke to me. I would definitely recommend this, especially to all the other 20-somethings like me.

Avatar
This movie does live up to all the hype. First the images and scenery alone almost make up a good movie. And the 3-D is definitely worth it, so much so that at times you lose yourself and feel like you are actually part of the movie. But the movie and story itself are just as good as all the special effects. The boy loved it because it had more than enough fighting for me. I loved it because it had a great love story. Although, without trying to give to much away, I would have expected a slightly different ending coming from James Cameron. Interestingly enough, while this is a science fiction movie it wouldn't surprise me if it does wound up winning a Best Picture. I would definitely say this is another must see.

Yes, I do realize 2 out of these 4 movies I consider to be must see. But I do think if you see them you won't be disappointed. Anyone else have any must see movies they've seen? Or do you disagree with my choices?

~Shoshaanh

P.S. I'm answering all your questions tomorrow. So if there's anything else you want to know be sure to ask a questions here.

8 comments:

  1. I heard that Avatar was rough for people who are prone to motion sickness - could you see that happening?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe if you're really prone to motion sickness? But I can't say I noticed anyone who looked sick in the theater. I guess worst case scenario if you started to get sick you could take the glasses off. Watching a 3-D movie without the glasses looks fine, just not 3-D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We didn't see Avatar in 3D so maybe it would have been more cool that way but my friend basically summed it up perfectly when she said:

    "Avatar: The tale of Pocahontas only with blue people...oh and way too long."

    I DID like it and would recommend it but I liked Sherlock Holmes WAY WAY better! In fact, I think Sherlock Holmes is the best movie I've seen in a long time!! I'm yet to see the other two but I think that The Morgans looks pretty funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Avatar was so good! I loved it! I think there could have been more 3D. Sometimes it just didn't seem that impressive.

    That being said... I'd see it again in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard bad things about the SJP movie...I prob. won't see that. I still haven't seen New Moon (bad bad bad) and I want to see It's Complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to know about the Morgans. I have it already listed in my queue.
    I liked Sherlock Holmes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. #1 - I'll see it because of the actors too... but I'll probably just rent it or wait until it plays on TV :P

    #2 - Will see it soon, it looks good!

    #3 - I think I'll rent it too.

    #4 - Can't WAIT to see it!!! I'm literally thinking of going Monday night (and I land Sunday night lol!)

    Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVED Up In The Air! It was SOOO good, I couldn't stop talking about it the day I saw it.

    ReplyDelete