Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Shop Till You Drop

Mini Shopaholic by Sophia Kinsella
I was so excited when I heard they were coming out with a new book in the series. It's actually one of the few chick-lit series I've read more than once. So I couldn't wait to see what kind of mischief Becky Brandon nee Bloomwood gets herself into this time.

At first I was almost disappointed to see that Becky hadn't really changed. I get that if she learns completely from her mistakes there wouldn't really be a story. But I don't get how one person can make the same mistake over and over without learning. And yet as I read through the book I realized that while it was the same Becky she had still matured. She did quite herself into quite a few crises, but never to the extent of some of the other books, and that was nice too see.

I also thought Minnie, Becky's daughter was so cute and loved all of the scenes with her. And yet while the title makes it seem as if the entire book will be about Becky and Luke's daughter, I felt like more central to the plot line was Becky trying to throw Luke a surprise party.

Before I read the book I was a little scared thinking this might be the last shopaholic book. I just didn't see how after this she'd be able to come up with anything else. But with the last few pages Kinsella easily set up the next in the series. I'll try not to give anything away, but I can't wait to see what she does with the series.

Overall I think its a great edition to the shopaholic series. I don't know that it's my favorite, I think that's still Shopaholic and Baby, but I still love to read it again. And I can only hope she does decide to come out with a seventh book to this series.

~Shoshanah

4 comments:

  1. I really want to read this but I'm trying to hold off on buying it until we're flying back to LA for a visit at the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading that now! So far I'm not as intrigued as I have been in the past, but I still love Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this too, and really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cant wait to read this! love the shopaholic series. but it does kill me sometimes to "watch" her make mistake after mistake, even though its only a book!

    ReplyDelete