Sunday, October 10, 2010

10-10-10

Happy 10/10/10 everyone! I've only been looking forward to this day practically forever. The reason being not only was it a fun day mathematically, but it's my 26th birthday! Originally we thought the boy was going to be working most of the day, so had thought about maybe doing breakfast. But yesterday we found out he had much of the morning off so a quick change of plans was in order.

To start off we went to go see a movie. (Review to come later this week. And yes, I realize it's been forever since I've posted a review, but only because it's been forever since I've seen a movie.)
Life as We Know It Tickets
After the movie we headed to Zea's Rotisserie Grill for lunch, which I believe is a Louisiana chain. I've heard great things about this place, but haven't had the chance to try it until today. One thing I knew I needed to try were their duck empanadas. The verdict?
Duck Empanadas
They were good, but not as earth-shattering as I'd been told. I think the mayo on top (most of which I wiped off), and the fact they were a little too cheesy for my taste through me off. Don't get me wrong, they were still good enough for me to finish. But I think next time I'd been willing to try something else.
Beef with Mushroom Burgundy Sauce
For our main courses the boy went with a beef with a mushroom and burgundy sauce paired with Zea's potatoes and red beans (above), while I went with a pesto crusted trout with sweet potatoes and dirty rice.
Pesto Crusted Trout
Well I really enjoyed the pesto crust, and think the high for both of us were the sides. And of course since it's a birthday I had to go with dessert.
Cupcake Trio
Enter the cupcake trio, with carrot cake, chocolate cake and red velvet cake. I'm not normally a huge fan of carrot cake, but this one was really good. It was all cinnamon-y, and I want to say there were even chunks of apple inside. It was probably one of the best carrot cakes I've had, but still played second fiddle to the red velvet.

Then on the way home I decided we needed to stop at the pumpkin patch. As silly as it may sound, I'm really looking forward to the first Halloween at our new house when we actually have treak-or-treaters. And it we're going to have trick-or-treaters I definitely need a jack-o-lantern to show off.
Halloween Pumpkin
As for the rest of the night, I'm planning on curling up on the couch with Amazing Race, Desperate Housewives, and Brothers & Sisters. Overall I think it's been a pretty good way to celebrate 10-10-10 and of course enter into my 26th year!

~Shoshanah

7 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! It sounds like you've had a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great birthday!! I know most people Love Zeas with a capital L but I just don't think it's as good as everyone else makes it out to be. I've never gotten a dish there that I've thought twice about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy belated birthday! sounds like a good one! those cupcakes look amazing! and how fun that your birthday was 10-10-10 this year! not many can say that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday! How cool that your bday is on 10/10! Very, very cool.

    The dinner looks awesome - esp the cupcake trio. Sounds like you had a wonderful day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love your food reviews. I haven't heard of Zea's. I'll have to try that next time I'm in BTR. A cupcake trio.... really? YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH... and Happy Birthday! Love October birthdays!

    ReplyDelete