Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Previously Loved

Vintage by Susan Gloss
Published
: September 2, 2014 by William Morrow Paperbacks
Originally Published: March 25, 2014
I went into this book hearing such great things about it, but unfortunately I think I may have over hyped it. That isn't to say I didn't enjoy it, because overall it is a really cute book you can't help but love, but it just didn't live up to my expectations for it.

This book is told from the perspective a 3 different women. The first is Violet who's in her late 30s and is the owner of a vintage clothes shop. Second is April, a pregnant high school senior who's been abandoned by her ex-fiance. Finally there's Amithi who discovers a secret her husband of over 30 years has been hiding from her. It's definitely an eclectic group of women that you wouldn't necessarily expect to form friendships, but yet here they are. Given there's such a wide range of characters and backgrounds here, there's likely to be someone everyone can relate to.

Not too surprisingly, I related most to April. No, I'm not in high school nor I am single, but I am about to have a baby. Also April is still dealing with the aftermath of her mother's death something very familiar to me. But while we are in similar situations, April's relationship with her mother was quite different than my own which means she's dealing with different issues. Although in someways I wish there would have been a little more development about the idea that April is about to have a baby without her mom by her side, since so much of that is on my own mind lately.

I do think it's interesting that while the story is told from 3 different perspectives there's not an equal time spent with each. Violet definitely had the most chapters, and while I understand since the story revolves around her shop, I wish we had time to explore the other characters just as much.

This book is definitely a fun take on female friendship. Yes, it's a bit chick-lit-y, but I wouldn't quite call it a beach read either. It just has a little more substance than that, and actually feels like a much better fit for Fall than it would for Summer.

4/5

Disclosure: I was provided this book through TLC Book Tours. All opinions expressed are my own.

4 comments:

  1. This book is on my dresser to be read right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this book a lot. I can see how it maybe was overhyped and didn't live up to your expectations as a result. Overall I thought it was a cute, fun read and I liked that it was set in Wisconsin as it's fun to read books set in areas close to where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always challenging when an author doesn't spend a ton of time with the character you most enjoy reading about, but I'm glad that you enjoyed this book overall and can recommend it so highly.

    Thanks for being a part of the tour! I'm featuring your review on TLC's Facebook page today.

    ReplyDelete