Friday, March 27, 2015

Return to Normal

After the War is Over by Jennifer Robson
Published
: January 6, 2015 by William Morrow Paperbacks
Last year I fell head over heels for Somewhere in France, and as soon as I knew there was going to be a companion novel I couldn't wait to read it. I rarely make time to read books immediately after I purchase them, but started this the day I had it. Not only that, but it's the first book I purchased since my daughter was born. Clearly I was excited about it.

Yet, as it so often happens, I built this book up a little more than it could handle. Don't get me wrong, it was still good and I enjoyed it, but don't see myself listing it as my favorite of the year.

With Robson's first book it felt like a love story told with WWI in the background. Except this time it reads as a story about the suffering following WWI, with a love story in the background. I guess I just wish the love story was more of the focus.

There is an attempt at a love triangle, or at least that's what you're led to believe based on the summary. Except this potential relationship is so platonic it's hard to see it for anything else. I do believe it was intentional, but I wish this relationship could have been better developed as well.

If this review comes off as disappointed it's really only because I had such high, high hopes for it. I still really enjoyed it, and definitely plain on reading Robson's next book (which is supposed to follow another character from these books). Hopefully that one contains the magic I'm looking for!

4/5

Today I'm linking up with Blonde Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday!

5 comments:

  1. Darn, that is too bad that it didn't live up to your high expectations! I really loved her first book so would have high expectations for the second one. I will still check it out probably but I will go into it with downgraded expectations since it's didn't blow you away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have built a book up so much in my mind that the poor thing could not live up to my expectations. You'd think I wouldn't do that again, but I still do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have built a book up so much in my mind that the poor thing could not live up to my expectations. You'd think I wouldn't do that again, but I still do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I actually liked this one better than "Somewhere In France" but that's because the love scene wasn't as much the focus. Funny how we were looking for different things from it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you ended up liking it. I loved it, though! ;)

    ReplyDelete