Friday, March 6, 2015

Into the Woods

Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Published
: 1971 by Harper Trophy
First Published: 1932
Series: Little House #1
I'm not sure how many times I've read the Little House books, but I do remember reading them for the first time in 3rd grade. They weren't the first historical fiction books I really got into (Those would be the American Girl books), nor do I consider them my all-time favorite (that would be the Betsy-Tacy books), but even so, I still have a very found place in my heart for these.

It is interesting reading these now. One of the biggest things I'm realizing is that there isn't actually a plot. Instead it's full of little anecdotes tied together. It doesn't seem like the type of thing that would capture a child's interest, and yet clearly it does, especially since there's certain parts I recalled so clearly.

One of my strongest memories of this book is the butchering story, when Laura and Mary play catch with a pig's bladder. I'm not quite sure why, maybe because I was a little grossed out as well as fascinated? Although I didn't realize till I started the book that it's the first chapter, so I'm sure that has something to do with it. I guess that's one way to capture a kid's interest, right?

In slightly less gory detail, I always loved the maple sugar dance. Again for some reason the part where Laura meets another Laura Ingalls is something that I've always remembered. Maybe because the idea of meeting someone with my own name was unbelievable? Or just that it's coincidental in a way that with so few people in Laura's world, there's still someone with her name?

I definitely loved getting transported back into my childhood with this, and am really looking forward to rereading the whole series. I would probably list Little Town on the Prairie as my favorite of the series, which means I have quite a few more to read before getting there!

5/5

Today I'm linking up with Blonde Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday!

5 comments:

  1. I have fond memories of this series. I should do a reread at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this the one where the fireballs come down the chimney? I remember that completely freaking me out as a child to the point where I made my parents keep our fireplace closed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't this one, but even though it's only been a few months since I've read it I can't quite remember which one it was. I'm leaning toward it being Little House on the Prairie when that happened, although it could also have been On the Banks of Plum Creek.

      Delete
  3. I'm with you... I loved these books too but they weren't my favorites. I was an American Girls fan too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the first Little House book I read. It was "On The Banks Of Plum Creek" and I can still the spot in our old house where I first started reading it. I agree that "Little Town On The Prairie" is probably my favourite of them all too.

    ReplyDelete