Friday, December 5, 2014

Shopaholics Annoyomous

Shopaholic to the Stars by Sophie Kinsella
Published
: October 21, 2014 by The Dial Press
Series: Shopaholic # 7
Sophie Kinsella was one of the first chick lit authors I really got into. Before her I always felt a little above chick lit, which I realize now is silly, especially since she lead me to some of my other favorites like Emily Giffin and Jennifer Weiner. But even so I've fallen a bit out of love with Kinsella lately. It just feels like all of her characters are always basically the same person. It's actually been 4 years since I last read a Kinsella book (the last shopaholic book even), and I never even purchased her most recent two books. But when I got a 20% off coupon the day this came out, well I couldn't say no to picking up my copy, could I?

I'm happy to say that reading this I remember why I enjoy Kinsella, and especially Becky's adventures, so much. My complaint lately about this series is that Becky never seems to learn, she just makes the same mistakes over and over again. Of course she wouldn't be Becky without those mistakes, but I was happy to see new ones happening here. It finally felt like Becky was growing as a character. Plus I loved reading about her precious daughter Minnie.

But then there's the ending. Most of the shopaholic books end with a bit of a preview of what going to come next, but everything is still wrapped up pretty neatly. Not with this one though. There were several pretty major plotlines purposely left open, which I really wasn't expecting. Although it does mean there has to be another one in the series, since there's still answers that you need as a reader.

I'm happy to say this renewed my love for Kinsella. I actually have another one of her books I recently picked up through paperback swap, and after this I'm hoping to get to it a lot sooner than I would have otherwise.

5/5

Today I'm linking up with Blonde Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday!

6 comments:

  1. I'm reading this right now! I think Becky is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this author and her books. I also love the books she writes under the name Madeline Wickham. Have you read any of those?

    Amy @ http://nystateofmind5.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the only one I've read is The Gatecrasher, which I actually really enjoyed. (I'm pretty sure I've even reviewed it here.) I actually still have a few Kinsella books I haven't read, but once I'm through them all I'd love to go through all her Wickman books as well.

      Delete
  3. I'll have to pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read this. I love her books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, I had actually fallen a bit out of love with the Shopaholic series but after your review I might just need to pick her up again.

    ReplyDelete