Friday, December 26, 2014

The 5 S's

The Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvery Karp, M.D.
Published
: May 27, 2003 by Bantam
First Published: May 28, 2002
If there's one thing I'm most worried about going into having a baby it's how to deal with lack of sleep. Which is why getting the baby to sleep as long as possible and through the night is so important to me. Even before I was pregnant I knew I would read this, and it was only reinforced by others telling me about it once I became pregnant.

Yes, there's a dvd version too, but if you know much about me it isn't that much of a surprise that I chose to go the book version. I realize it is more of a time investment, but I think reading it makes it stay with you a little more, at least that's the way it works for me.

The book is a little repetitive, but I think that's kind of the point. I will tell you that after finishing the book and hearing the same method told over and over, while in slightly different ways each time, I can't imagine forgetting it. Even so I've folded the corner down on a few pages that I know I'll want to go back and reference. (Which is a big deal for me since I normally hate folding corners since it "ruins" a book.)

Everything in this book made sense, and while I can't put it into practice yet (at least not at the time I'm writing this review, by the time it's posted I should be in the middle of it all), I have high hopes for it. It's definitely a book that means more once you're able to put it into practice, and hopefully months down the road I'm raving just as much (or even more) about it.

4.5/5

Today I'm linking up with Blonde Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck!! I am sure Elley will be a great sleeper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book while I was pregnant and was so glad I did! We used the 5 S's regularly; especially the 'shh'ing!

    ReplyDelete