Friday, April 6, 2012

In a Chemical Garden

Wither by Lauren DeStefano
Ever since I've heard of this book I've been waiting to pick it up. With stories of girls being forced into polygamous marriages, a dystopian society where all girls die at age 20, and it's beautiful cover, I just knew it was something I would love. Which is why I was so excited when Jesse surprised me with it at our blogger meet up.

Now to be honest, I have read a number of reviews who weren't a big fan of it, and just didn't seemed to get the book. So going into it I prepared myself for the worst, maybe the book with the gorgeous cover would not live up to my wishes. But maybe because I went into it with slight hesitation, it lived up to my hopes for it and I wound up falling in love with Rhine's story.

It's actually hard for me to pick out or articulate what I loved about this world. I think the book almost seemed magical and they world DeStefano created had an eerie beauty to it. I loved all the characters. I loved Rhine, and I loved all 4 of her sister wives. But I couldn't help but really feel for Rhine's husband Linden, and just wish there was more of him.

Now there isn't a lot of action in the book, and a lot of it is character development and Rhine remember her past. So it may not be the most exciting to some, but it really worked for me.

I'm actually really happy that this book didn't let me down, and was almost exactly what I'd been looking forward to reading.

4.5/5

Today I'm linking up with Blonde Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday!

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Wither. I have Fever sitting on my library loot pile. I can't wait to finish what I'm reading now to start on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to read this one for awhile! Now, I really want to read it!!! I'll have to pick it up soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this on my list of books I want to read. It sounds good!

    ReplyDelete