Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Guacamole and G-d

I decided I am not doing my Pilate's today. Instead I am sitting here finishing the chips and guacamole. Cause that's a good trade-off. I tell myself that I need to finish the guacamole today, because it's going all brown. And while I tell myself there's nothing wrong with eating brown-ish guacamole, it just became oxidized. It just looks scary.

I have also been thinking about dinner tonight. Part of me wants to just eat slices of beef summer sausage and aged Gouda, but the Boy has been making me feel guilty about not eating left

overs. I know there is still leftover red beans and rice, but I am thinking of using the leftover pasta and making a variation of my dinner last night.
Caprese Salad
Caprese Salad!

So good! Yum! I love Capreses. I always want to order them at restaurants, but I figure they are so simple, it's not really worth the money. So the plan for tonight is spaghetti plus Caprese. Yum

Interestingly enough at the old house I made a Caprese one night (I substituted Mozzarella for Parmesan, but still a Caprese). The Boy's sister and husband were like, WTF? That is not a salad! I guess Capreses aren't very big in Louisiana? You would think it would be being Capreses are French and Louisiana used to be part of France. I think that's more the South's influence. It's more of the fact that hunting is big here and people don't like eating food without meat is my guess.

But moving on. I finished a book yesterday. Almost 2 months for the last one and only 2 days for this one! (but I mean look at the book...The Duggars: 20 and Counting)

It was interesting and informative though. I feel like I have a better idea of all their names now. Plus the house they now live in is crazy. I mean there's a slide from the boys' bedroom to the playroom.

One thing I wasn't a big fan off was all the religious stuff. Actually, not a fan of is not the right explanation, just made me think, and made me appreciate my religion more. So often in the book, they'll say something like, I want G-d to show me the way. Or the path G-d chooses for me. Something along those lines, it just doesn't agree with what I believe.

One of the things I love so much about Judaism (at least modern Reform of Conservative religion), is how much you can chose to do or not do. If you want to stand during the Kaddish or if you want to sit during the Kaddish its your choice. But one specific thought that has always stood about to me I came across during my confirmation year.

We were studying ways scholars had analyzed the Torah in the past. And there was one belief that our relationship with G-d is similar to a parent child relationship, and how it changes over time. Back in the Biblical times our relationship with G-d was much more of how you would parent a small child, with a lot of interacting. Our relationship now is much more of a parent to an adult child. Sure you want your grown children to succeed, but you aren't going to make their choices for them. You might ask your parents for advice, but they might simply respond, "You're old enough now, you can decide on their own." And while I appreciate that the Duggars feel the need to pray its almost as if they are giving up free will and leaving it all up to faith.

Now that I have somehow gone from talking about guacamole to G-d, I think it's a good time to wrap up. The plan for the rest of the night, well...
7:00-8:00 American Idol and The Biggest Loser (I'll flip back and forth during commercials)
8:00-9:00 The Biggest Loser and 17 Children and Counting (aka the duggars)
9:00-10:00 Toddlers and Tiaras (Ummm yeah...)

No comments:

Post a Comment