Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Economy...


So, Rebecca at GGC started a new blog called Portraits of an Economy about different people dealing with the economy. It's kind of depressing reading it, thinking about what everyone else is going through. But I feel awful saying this, I really don't feel like this whole downturn has affected me very much, if at all.

First off I don't own a house. I don't really have a car loan. I don't have kids, overall I don't have a lot of debt. (Except of course for student loans, but that's good debt, right?) The biggest change for me feel like it is that gas prices are dropping and I have to pay less for gas, which is a good thing.

I do get that a lot of it has to do this the fact that many people don't feel secure with their job. Maybe I'm being naive, but I completely do. I do realize I don't work a great industry overall right now. One of our competitors recently went bankrupt, and we are attempting to take over some of their business. So it could happen. But every week at our company-wide meeting our president's always say we are doing well, and that we met our goals. I mean we're still hiring people. Our company is currently building a new building because we've really out grown ours. You know things are crazy when people call and say they are going to be late coming back from their lunch break because there is no parking left. So yes, I do feel secure at my job.

I do get that there are a lot of other people out there who don't. I also get how difficult it can be to find a job. I went one quite a lot of interviews, and sent out even more resumes. The only reason I am where I am now is because I started working as a temp. So I do get it.

But it's hard to know who exactly is affected. I talked to my parents a few weeks ago. And we were talking about how different people had been doing. I told them pretty much what I said above. And while my mom didn't say things were bad, there was definitely a weird tone of her voice.

So who knows what will happen. Hopefully it will all get fixed soon. I can't quite see that know its the whole world that's feeling this. Which when you think about it sounds really weird. How is all this money disappearing? It has to go somewhere right? So where is it? I mean it's almost like money is just this imaginary thing, and when you really think about it, it is! Ok... we're now getting a little too existential for my tastes.

~Shoshanah

The picture is my scratch-off winning from about a year ago. Beacuse wouldn't we all love to win some money right about now

1 comment:

  1. good luck with everything :)

    your comments on my blog are lovely - thank you!

    I can't even find a part time job because no one is hiring :\

    ReplyDelete