Friday, June 27, 2014

The Last, Last Mortal Instruments

City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare
Published
: May 27, 2014 by Margaret K. McElderry Books
Series: The Mortal Instruments #6
Say what you want about Cassandra Clare, she sure knows how to write an ending. So often in her books I'm bored with the first half or so, but after the last few chapters I'm back in love with her and feel like it will be ages till there's another of her books to read. Except that wasn't quite the case here.

Don't get met wrong, the ending was still pretty magical here. But instead I was impressed with how much I enjoyed the rest of the book. Yes, there were times, especially in the first few chapters, where it seemed all Clary did was talk about how hot Jace was. But a chapter or two later everything came together, and I found myself really enjoying myself. I don't feel like I speed through it, although I do think this is the longest of hers so far, so that makes sense. I do think relative to the size I actually did read it pretty quickly.

Although I do have a small complaint with this book, and overall series. It's just been so long since I read the first three of the series (almost 4 years ago!). And there's been so many books of these series and The Infernal Devices, and I read through them all so quickly, I've forgotten so many details along the way. I would really love to go back and reread them all, but considering how many there are and how long each is, it does seem to be a bit of a daunting task, but eventually...

Back to the ending though, because it is pretty perfect. I don't think it can compare to the ending of The Clockwork Princess, but I think it might be my second favorite ending of Clare's. I think it was a perfect way to wrap up this series, plus tie it into both the Infernal Devices and her upcoming The Dark Artifices series.

Of course I can't wait till next year when that's out, although first I'll probably pick up The Bane Chronicles when they're released in print later this year. As much as I want to dislike Clare's books I can't help but love them, and if you haven't picked them up yet, I highly recommend doing so, even as overwhelming as it may seem.

5/5

Today I'm linking up with Blonde Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday!

1 comment: